Staying in Barcelona over the cooler months and wondering what to wear to keep snug in style? We’ve compiled a rundown of the hottest fashion trends in Barcelona this winter – and be warned, some of them are pretty bold! Whether you’re looking for something casual for the daytime or something glamorous for going out, here’s our 101 guide to winter fashion in Barcelona.
Preferably black, preferably biker-style (this Zara one ticks all the boxes), the leather jacket is a cold weather staple which is showing no signs of fading here in Barcelona. Worn with everything from sporty hoodies to feminine floral prints, it’s a versatile jacket which adapts well to layering up or dressing down.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The knitted head turban is a must this season, as the temperature begins to drop and you need that extra something to keep your head warm. With the DIY and craft scene in full bloom here in the Catalan capital, the best option is to create your own if you have a bit of time on your hands.
Forget about feminine waistlines and tailored jackets, this winter’s coat is all about the straight lines and oversized feel. The androgynous look is as popular as ever here in Barcelona at the moment, and this season it looks like a loose or oversized jacket is the easiest way to add that touch of ambiguity to your wardrobe. This cream-colored oversized jacket by Zara is a current favorite.
Chunky Knit Scarves
Think real chunky. Like bigger than anything you thought was possible. Again, the handmade craze going round at the moment means that the best way to add this item to your collection is by making it yourself. There are hundreds of easy-to-follow tutorials available online and you don’t even need to buy any knitting needles, just use your hands and arms. Easy!
Velvet hasn’t made a comeback this hard since the nineties but it’s all over the High Street this fall, with the likes of Zara and Mango offering a range of easy-to-wear velvet designs. Don’t be fooled into thinking it’s reserved for the evening though, a velvet blazer is the perfect way to add a touch of glam to a pair of jeans.
Wide-Leg Denim Jeans
This fall’s denim trends are wide, with even the kick flare making a comeback on the catwalk. Wear your jeans cropped and opt for a pair of heels for a more feminine touch. Frayed ends, patchwork and quirky details are all on trend too, so don’t be afraid of choosing something a little bold.
If there’s one color that really stands out in Barcelona this season, it’s camel. This versatile color is perfect for everyday and casual wear, but is also easily dressed up for an understated, sophisticated evening outfit. The bestsellers are camel coats (like this one from Zara), and camel trousers (like these from Mango) but accessories like hats and scarves are also following suit.
Padded Down Jackets
There’s no chance of you getting cold in Barcelona if you opt for a chunky padded jacket like the ones that have been seen on the catwalk recently. Warm, waterproof, comfortable – it seems that the fashion industry has embraced the convenience of the padded down jacket and let it into its inner circle. For something truly functional and long-lasting, check out The North Face‘s range of goose-down jackets.
We’re talking floor-length dresses that make you stand out as the belle of the ball. Dior, Gucci, Valentino and Balenciaga have all featured sequins in their Fall/Winter 2016 collections, and together with velvet these are the two most fabulous materials for the holiday season. This beige number by Zara is just asking to be matched with a touch of color and some statement shoes for a glittery NYE.
Black patent leather (or its animal-friendly alternative, PVC) has been seen at fashion shows by Louis Vuitton and Chanel among others this autumn and is set to be one of this winter’s biggest trends. From mini skirts to oversized coats and even leggings, think all your favorite leatherwear but with a shiny upgrade.
Thought florals were only for the springtime? Think again. There’s no excuse to not be bright this winter, as feminine floral prints are everywhere to be seen this season. Loose floral skirts and dresses are perfect for pairing with a rugged leather jacket, while a bright patterned blouse will look great with denim or tucked down some wide-leg trousers.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.