Seville has a reputation throughout Spain as being (or at least regarding itself as) much more pijo, or posh, than other Andalusian cities. This extends to Sevillanos too, who are said to be more expensively and fussily attired than anyone else in southern Spain. Though, of course, this is a generalisation, Seville has some great fashion hotspots you won’t want to miss.
Regardless of the stereotype, it’s broadly-speaking true that sartorial tastes in the Andalusian capital tend towards the classically smart rather more so than elsewhere in the region – especially in Granada, whose locals are known for a more bohemian look. And while the general preference in Seville is for a fairly conservative style, that doesn’t mean that the city lacks an exciting and inventive fashion scene.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Isadora and La Importadora
Though their construction was a controversial and lengthy process (largely owing to the discovery of Roman remains on Plaza Encarnación), the distinctive monument known in Seville as “Las Setas”, or “The Mushrooms” has been a positive thing for the city. Not only have these enormous wooden structures transformed what was previously a neglected square into one of Seville‘s most popular spaces, they also spawned a smart shopping area nearby called Soho Benita. Five streets that nestle under the shadow of The Mushrooms, between the distinctively-shaped monuments and Plaza Alfalfa, have become known as one of the coolest places to shop in the city. Isadora, for example, sells attire and accessories by emerging Spanish designers, while La Importadora is an art gallery as well as a specialist in vintage-style clothing and shoes.
Shoes at Antonio Ortiz
If shoes are your thing, though, three streets in the centre of Seville are unmissable. Leading off the spacious square overlooked by the city‘s stately town hall building, Calles Tetuan, Velazquez and Sierpes are likely to prove a credit card-maxing experience for shoe lovers. These streets are lined with the classiest outlets in town and provide every conceivable kind of footwear. On Calle Velazquez, for example, is Antonio Ortiz, where you can boggle at the craziest contemporary shoe designs.
Flamenco clothing stores are everywhere in the Andalusian capital; Encarni Novillo
Victorio & Lucchino, Carolina Herrerra, Loewe and Toscana at Plaza Nueva
Seville‘s footwear heaven is located right next door to Plaza Nueva – one of the city‘s loveliest open spaces and home to its smartest fashion stores. The main outlet of Victorio & Lucchino, Seville‘s best-known designers, is here, as are high-end retailers Carolina Herrerra, Loewe and Toscana. For both men and women, this is the heart of fashionable, pijo Seville – a cluster of designer outlets that would struggle for business in a less wealthy environment.
As you would expect for a city so steeped in flamenco culture, Seville‘s fashion scene is heavily influenced by the gyspsy art form. At no time is this more colourfully obvious than during the city‘s massive April Fair, Andalusia’s most exclusive annual celebration. During this week-long extravaganza, Sevillanos – especially the women – spectacularly live up to their reputation for wearing the finest attire: women wear stunning flamenco dresses, or “gypsy dresses”, which are painstakingly handmade in the city‘s countless flamenco clothing stores. For men, an understated and elegant uniform of chinos, crisp white shirts, blue blazers and ties dominates. It is, undoubtedly, one of the best-dressed parties in southern Spain.
There is also the city‘s “We Love Flamenco” festival. This takes place in January at the seriously upmarket Alfonso XIII hotel and celebrates the most contemporary flamenco-inspired designs. Seville‘s Fashion Weekend, usually held in September, completes the annual line-up of shows in the Andalusian capital – a city that is as defined by sartorial elegance as much as it is by tapas and flamenco.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.