Let’s face it, in a city as popular as Barcelona, it can be tricky finding a new hang out not everyone has already heard about. Fortunately there are still a handful of places which aren’t on all the guide-books…yet! Read on to discover some of the coolest hidden gems in Barcelona, from speak-easy bars to secret out-door hang outs. Did you know – Culture Trip now does bookable, small-group trips? Pick from authentic, immersive Epic Trips, compact and action-packed Mini Trips and sparkling, expansive Sailing Trips.
This stylish speakeasy is hidden away behind the cover of a trendy Pastrami Bar in the heart of El Born. Simply give a knowing look to the person behind the counter and they’ll let you in through to the back when the time is right.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
If you want to experience one of the best views of the city then the Carmel Bunkers are the place to head. Located on the foothills which surround the city, these former wartime bunkers are now a popular hang-out with those looking to escape the busy city-center and admire the impressive 360º view.
Carmel Bunkers, Carrer de Marià Lavèrnia, Barcelona, +932 562 122
Located just a minute’s walk from the famous Palau de la Música, the Antic Theatre is an urban oasis which has managed to keep a low profile. The theatre boasts a large open-air terrace surrounded by stunning old buildings typical of Barcelona’s Old Town, the prices are relatively low, and it attracts a mostly young, laid-back crowd.
Cafeteria of the Centre Cívic Can Deu
The Can Deu Civic Centre is housed inside a stunning Modernist building located in the heart of the Les Corts neighborhood that is rarely visited by tourists. The cafeteria there is a hidden-gem which few in the city know about, with a large outdoor terrace and stylish interiors serving a selection of drinks and small dishes at affordable prices.
Grec Gardens Amphi-Theatre
Carved into the side of Montjuïc hill, the amphitheatre in the Grec Gardens was constructed in the 1920s for the Barcelona International Exposition. Today the theatre is used each year in July for the Grec Festival, but the rest of the year the gardens and theatre are open to the public, and make for a great place to read a book or have a picnic.
Grec gardens, Passeig de Santa Madrona, Barcelona, +933 161 000
El Jardí Bar
Just a minute’s walk from La Rambla, this cute outdoor café and restaurant is a surprisingly well-kept secret. Housed within the inside courtyard of ancient university buildings and surrounded by orange trees, El Jardí is an oasis of peace in an otherwise hectic part of town.
The Horta Labyrinth
Ever wanted to lose yourself in a real-life labyrinth like the ones you used to read about when you were little? Well so did the Marquis Joan Antoni Desvalls of d’Ardena, who ordered the construction of this 820-yard long labyrinth located on the outskirts of Barcelona back in the 18th century. Only 750 visitors are allowed in daily and access costs just over €2 per person.
Bistrot by Valkiria
Walking around this part of Poblenou you could easily think there wasn’t much going on at first glance. Housed inside the Valkiria co-working space, the Bistrot is a modern cafeteria and bar, which serves a selection of fresh dishes and drinks in a cool, quirky environment. which promotes networking and creative thinking.
Jardins de Mossèn Costa i Llobera
While many of Montjuïc’s gardens are famous for their sumptuous flower displays and bourgeois gardens, the Jardins de Mossèn Costa i Llobrera are home to some of the hardiest and most unusual varieties of plant. Created in the 1970s, this little-known garden is home to hundreds of species of cactus, succulent, and tropical plant.
This cool urban garden is located in the courtyard of a former factory turned co-working space in the heart of Poblenou. While the popular street-food and design market which takes place there each month – the Palo Alto Market – has drawn some attention to the place, snd what few people know is that you can access the grounds most days of the week during the working hours of the hub.
Zona de Banys del Fòrum
Fancy swimming in the open seas but without risking coming head-to-head with a jet-ski or ending up caught in the waves? The Zona de Banys del Fòrum is the city’s premier open-water swimming pool, combining the benefits of sea-water with the ease and safety of swimming lanes, access stairs, and specially designated swimming areas.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.