Perhaps no other of Barcelona’s neighborhoods better explains where the city comes from and where it is going than Poblenou. Poblenou is an old industrial district that is constantly changing, with its personality outlined by charming smokestacks that are scattered throughout the area. Here we explore 10 of the unmissable things to do and see in Poblenou.
Stroll along La Rambla del Poblenou
Rambla del Poblenou is the cornerstone of social life in the neighborhood. It offers a multitude of ways for visitors to enjoy themselves – the street boasts several restaurants, bars, cafes and small shops for those who want to stroll the day away in a relaxed atmosphere. Try delicious tapas at El 58, stop by for a good pint of local craft beer at Cervecita nuestra de cada día or buy yourself a refreshing Horchata at popular Horchateria El Tío Che. New and old shops await, as do marvels like the sculpture A L’Adolescent or the modernist building at number 102, designed by a disciple of Domenech i Muntaner. Stroll down Poblenou’s Rambla enough and you may even reach the seaside.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Visit the beach
Bogatell beach is Poblenou’s natural gateway to the Mediterranean waters and the best beach for those looking to enjoy a more familiar atmosphere than the other city beaches offer. In off season time, the windy autumn gives way to kite surfing practice. Three slender 23-meter light towers, named Taure, Piscis and Aquari, overlook the beach from behind the boardwalk. Another neighboring sand stripe, Mar Bella beach, has a nudist area and is considered gay friendly, and hosts the Circuit festival summer beach parties.
Enjoy the Parc Central del Poblenou
Full of fantasy, every element of Parc Central del Poblenou is highly decorative, including the square dedicated to Sardana (a traditional dance), or the surprising crater, the Well of the World. The prestigious architect Jean Nouvel, whose vision was to create an island of peace and nature within the city, stated that the rightful inauguration should have been done later, when the flora had fully grown. Now having reached its peak of beauty, the space now includes the MUHBA Oliva Artés museum. Whatever you’re interested in, the park is well worth a visit.
Visit The Ancient Poblenou Cemetery
With so many sculptural and architectural splendors, cemeteries quickly become something more than a traditional scene to mourn the deceased. That is exactly what has happened with the Cementiri del Poblenou, also known as Cementiri de l’Est, the oldest cemetery in Barcelona. Through the numerous gorgeous, creepy statues and the cemetery’s associated ghost stories, the unsettling tragedy of death can be felt. Guided visits take place every day to unveil the historic and artistic legacy of the cemetery.
Discover iconic squares and corners
Passatge Mas de Roda is a good start for a walk, with its factories turned to lofts, before continuing to the Dr. Trueta and Ciutat de Granada street junction to earn a perfect view of the smokestack and tower, remnants from Can Gili Vell flour industry. Two squares deserve a visit; Bernat Calbó and Plaça de Prim, the most emblematic square in Poblenou.
Celebrate the Festa Major del Poblenou
Poblenou’s Festival is the time of year when the neighborhood dresses up and heads out to show off its identity to Barcelona and the whole world. Festa Major del Poblenou is a festival where, more than anything else, the Poblenovins remember what it means to live in the district. In addition to neighborhood pride, there’s room to celebrate life – with popular street dinners, live concerts, dancing demons and firework-spitting dragons, street markets and much, much more.
Experience the live music scene
Poblenou is a quarter where avant-garde live music is very much present. Small but solid Rocksound is greatly respected in the music world due to the fact it offers nothing but rock, often with prominent international names playing gigs at the venue. In addition, Ultra-Local Records, a record store offering a free concert every Friday, and Sala Ramona, a place where top musicians open their rehearsals to the public, are worth checking out.
Dive into the culinary delights of Poblenou
If you are looking for a local, traditional dining experience, head to Monopol at Rambla del Poblenou 74. Their ‘combo’ breakfast, brunch and lunch all offer great value for money, along with original tapas and a good selection of wines. The apple pie, compote and cupcakes are homemade and definitely worth a try. If you fancy a good burger, head to Timesburg Poblenou. The burgers and homemade fries are delicious and the service is rapid and friendly. If you’d rather dine in a quieter setting, look into booking a table at Can Bigotis, a charming local restaurant located nearby Bogatell beach. Good pizza has also found its way to Poblenou and one of the places to be recommended is Madrelievito, where pizzas are cooked true to the Neapolitan tradition in a wooden oven.
See the Creative Poblenou
Poblenou Urban District is the leading creativity hub in Barcelona. L’Escocesa creation center and a myriad of small galleries and studios make this place a abundant in artistic expression. Once a year, during March, the Poblenou Open Day has the workshops of different artists open to the public, concentrating allowing visitors to explore music, conferences, interaction and street food.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.