Located in the province of Tarragona in southern Catalonia, the Delta de l’Ebre is an impressive natural landmark which attracts thousands of nature-lovers each year. Where the Ebro River meets the Mediterranean Sea, the Delta de l’Ebre is home to a rich flora and fauna and offers plenty of fun activities for all ages.
It’s one of the largest wetlands in the Mediterranean
For those of us who can’t remember our geography classes, a wetland is a piece of land saturated with water such as marshes, mangroves and swamps like the Everglades in Florida. The Delta de l’Ebre is the second largest wetland in the western Mediterranean, after the French Camargue, and covers some 320 square metres (3,440 square feet).
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The Ebro Delta Natural Park is a national treasure
In 1993 the Spanish government declared a large part of the Delta de l’Ebre as a protected natural park owing to its incredibly rich flora and fauna. Some 7,802 hectares (19,300 acres) large, the natural park includes estuaries, marshes, dry lakes and beaches which make up the special landscape of the Delta de l’Ebre.
Over 300 species of bird pass through the Delta de l’Ebre
The Delta de l’Ebre is famous for being a major ornithological site – think bird-watching – and is home to numerous native species of bird. In addition to the 95 species which call the delta home, there are another 300 birds which pass through the Delta de l’Ebre each year as part of their migratory route.
The Delta de l’Ebre is just two hours away from Barcelona
Located some 200 kilometres (124 miles) south of Barcelona, the Delta de l’Ebre can easily be accessed in about two hours by car from the Catalan capital. Yet when you arrive you’ll feel transported to a far away land thanks to its other-worldly landscapes, exotic wildlife, and unique atmosphere.
Rice is grown in the Delta de l’Ebre
The particular features of the Delta de l’Ebre have lead to it being used to grow crops for centuries, in particular citrus fruits, vegetables and, most famous of all, rice. Delta de l’Ebre rice is considered a quality ingredient throughout this part of Spain and many famous local chefs serve Delta de l’Ebre rice in their restaurants.
Cycling is a great way to explore the Delta de l’Ebre
One of the fastest, easiest and most fun ways to explore the Delta de l’Ebre is on a bike. Thanks to its relatively flat terrain, you won’t need to use too much pedal power to explore the rice fields and coastal paths of the Delta de l’Ebre. Some companies also offer guided bike tours as well as bicycle rentals from €10 ($12) for a half a day.
Amposta is the nearest big town
When you’re planning your trip to the Delta de l’Ebre keep in mind that the town of Amposta is where you’ll find the most restaurants, hotels and also the main tourist information desk. From here you’ll be able to rent bikes, organise bird-watching expeditions and sight-seeing tours, or enquire about boat trips and fishing licenses.
A colony of flamingos have made the Delta de l’Ebre home
Since 1992 a colony of pink flamingos have been settled in the Delta de l’Ebre where they are visible throughout the year, although they’re most visible in the winter. This is now the only place in Catalonia where the birds reproduce and some 2711 pairs were counted in 2017, the highest number on record yet.
There are some beautiful sandy beaches
As well as offering plenty of fun activities such as bird-watching and bike rides, there are also some pristine sand beaches in the Delta de l’Ebre perfect for spending a few lazy hours in the sun. The Platja de l’Eucaliptus or ‘Eucalyptus Beach’ is a 6 kilometre (3.7 mile) long sand beach lined with low lying sand dunes. There’s a campsite and restaurant nearby where you can get refreshments too.
An invasive Russian mussel is taking over the waters
The zebra mussel is a small, salt water mussel which is believed to be native to the lakes of southern Russia. However, in the 20th century the mussel was accidentally introduced elsewhere and has since become an invasive species threatening native species of mussels in places such as the Hudson River, the Great Lakes and the Ebro Delta.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.