Endowed with color, intensity and depth, Basque Country welcomes travelers with exhilarating adventure, enthralling history and some of Spain‘s most beautiful spots. Studded with strange villages and bewildering vistas, the region hosts medieval towns aplenty. Here, we take a look at some of the finest places to visit.
Zarautz, a 13th century coastal town in the Basque Country, is situated at the center of Gipuzkoa. It is most famous for its beach, the longest in the region and one of the longest on the Cantabrian Cornice as a whole. The city’s ancient waters overlook the Palace of Narros, a true hidden treasure, while plenty of restaurants serving traditional Basque cuisine occupy the streets.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Located on the eastern side of Gipuzkoa, Pasaia is a typical sailors’ town with colorful mansions lined up around the central square overlooking the Bay of Pasaia. Pasaia is an important heritage center too and great for those interested in an authentic cultural experience. Notable landmarks include the church of San Juan Bautista, the Arizabalo Palace, the hermitage of Santa Ana, the house where the French writer Victor Hugo spent his life, and a fine nautical museum.
Saint Jean de Luz
Situated on the east side of the Bay of Biscay, Saint Jean de Luz belongs to the Labourd Province, firmly in the French part of the Basque Country. It is a major tourist destination known for its sandy beaches and clean blue waters. The town features some imposing monuments too, such as Quai de L’Infante, Rue Mazarin, Rue Gambetta and the Place Louis XI that can be traced back to the 17th and 18th centuries. Travelers can take walking tours around the city’s ancient walls and discover its unforgettable, charming corners.
Bayonne, situated in the French part of the Basque Country, belongs to the cultural region of Gascony. Architecturally, it is an interesting fusion of traditional Basque styles and elegant Gothic buildings that endows the city with a truly unique character. Bull fighting is Bayonne’s most famous tourist attraction, as is its delicious chocolate, which has been produced for almost 500 years.
In Bermeo, peaceful waters stretch along the coastal line of Busturialdea and invite the weary traveler to look upon them in peace. The waters speak of the long past of Bermeo that can be traced back to the Middle Ages when the monastery of San Juan of Crag was built in 1051. Bermeo’s Old Town and Ercilla Tower still reverberate with these ancient tales.
Hondarribia, situated on the west shore of the Bidasoa river mouth in Gipuzkoa, is a border town facing Hendaye in France. The ferry service between the two cities is a perfect opportunity to take a leisurely ride between the two countries. Hondarribia is a medieval fortified city that set the stage for some of Basque Country’s most famous historical battles. Its small winding lanes in the old quarter and medieval charm provides an exceptional atmosphere and cultural context.
Sare’s uniqueness is derived from the fact that it offers a glimpse into a remote past. This enchanting village situated in the province of Labourd near the border with France has a traditional architecture dating back to 15th century. Most of the buildings reflect the archetype of the ancient Basque house, a half-timbered farmhouse with characteristic sloping roofs and entry portals. The most spectacular mountain peak of the Basque Country, La Rhune, is situated only four kilometers to the west of the village.
Biarritz has been connected to the sea since the 12th century, when it was first established as a whaling settlement. At the beginning of the 18th century, Biarritz became a pilgrimage site renowned for its miraculous waters and healing properties. Today, the spirit of its waters attracts surfers from around the world. The annual Biarritz Surf Festival, founded in 1993 at the Côte des Basques, is one of the premier surf events in Europe.
Getxo is a lovely provincial town situated in the district of Biscay. It forms a part of Greater Bilbao and Uribe. It was originally built as a group of luxurious country houses for the industrial bourgeoisie of 19th century Spain and the architecture of the town has retained much of its impressive, original look to this day. The Andra Mari Church, the antique Aixerrota Windmill and La Galea Fort are among the big draws, while the surrounding region is truly beautiful.
Lekeitio is a picturesque port city located in the province of Biscay, 55 kilometers north-east from Bilbao. In September, the city celebrates its most important festival in honor of its patron saint, San Antolin. The main part of the festival, known as the “goose race” involves boat races and holding on to a goose as long as strength allows. Weird and wonderful to say the least!
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.