Mundaka is a small town on the Basque coast, around 38 km (24 miles) northeast of the city of Bilbao. It’s known for its stunning natural landscapes and excellent surf conditions. Here are 10 things you can do and see in Mundaka.
The primary thing that Mundaka is known for is surfing. During the autumn and winter seasons, the town is awash with surfers from all over the world who come to surf one of the best left hand barrels and river-mouth waves in the world. It also hosts some of the world’s top international surf competitions. If you love surf, then you’ll definitely love Mundaka.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Explore the port area
One of the prettiest areas of of Mundaka is the old port area, surrounded by colourful traditional Basque houses, small fishing boats and a lovely little sandy beach. It’s a great spot to walk around or simply to sit and watch the boats go by. In the summer, people love to swim in the port area too.
Relax on the beach
There are many beaches around Mundaka, and in the town itself. One of the best is Laidatxu, with its fine golden sand and small bay, which is great for families and children. There are also many more natural and almost deserted beaches within the surrounding Urdaibai Biosphere Reserve.
Mundaka is small, so it doesn’t have many major sites, apart from the Hermitage of Santa Catalina. Located on a rocky outcrop on the edge of town, there has been a hermitage on this spot since Medieval times, although the current hermitage is from 1879. Its purpose was to control all the boat traffic that came into the village and has since been a quarantine for people with epidemic diseases, a meeting place for fishermen and a place to store ammunition.
Santa Katalina Kalea, Mundaka, Vizcaya, Spain, +34 946 17 72 00
Go birdwatching in the Urdaibai Biosphere Reserve
Mundaka sits within the Basque Country’s Urdaibai Biosphere Reserve, an important wetland area, which has been listed by UNESCO. It’s home to an amazing array of birdlife including Eurasian bitterns, spoonbills and fish eagles. Visit the Urdaibai Bird Center to find out where best to spot them.
There aren’t many places for shopping in Mundaka, however one place you can’t miss is Mundaka BC. It stocks all different local Basque brands and sells everything from T-shirts and souvenirs to books and surf gear. It also displays changing exhibitions, featuring works by various local artists.
Plaza Lehendakari Agirre, Mundaca, Vizcaya, Spain, +34 944 65 54 56
Being located in the stunning Urdaibai Biosphere Reserve, and right along the coast, means that there are plenty of opportunities for nature lovers and hikers. Take time to explore the stunning scenery around the town on a stroll across the clifftops.
Make a day trip to San Juan de Gaztelugatxe
San Juan de Gaztelugatxe is located around a 35-minute drive northwest of Mundaka, along the coast. A small island, it is connected to the mainland by an old stone bridge. Access the ancient hermitage and the incredible sea views from the top, via a steep narrow pathway of 241 steps. You might recognise the island as being the Dragonstone home of Daenerys Targaryen from Game of Thrones.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.