An up-and-coming destination, Bucharest is fast becoming a hot destination for those looking to escape the city. Although a visit to Bucharest is always a great idea, every season takes or adds something from its charm and appeal. Check out our suggestions to make sure you plan accordingly and to ensure your visit goes just the way you want.
Spring (March – May)
According to many locals, spring is when Bucharest is at its best. The parks are green and full of flowers, the birds sing happily and the weather is warm and pleasant. Visit the city in one of these months, and you’ll have the best of everything. However, if you love meeting locals and experiencing the city at its most authentic, don’t plan your trip around May 1st. This is when most Romanians traditionally go for a holiday out to the countryside, and Bucharest becomes a ghost town.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Summer (June – August)
Come summer, Bucharest becomes the tale of two cities. From Monday to Friday the city is buzzing with activity after hours, with restaurants, bars and rooftops staying open until late. Although the weather is at its hottest, with daytime and nighttime temperatures regularly going above 30 degrees Celsius (86 degrees F), this is still one of the liveliest times of the year. Visiting in summer will also set you up for two of the best music festivals in the Romanian capital, TimeShift and Summer Well.
Still, when in Bucharest, you’d better do like the locals do and change your city clothes for swimming trunks and bikinis because you’ll be going to the seaside! On weekends, the city empties out and half of its population flocks either to seaside resorts along the Black Sea or to the mountains.
Fall (September – November)
As the days get shorter, the temperature drops and the atmosphere turns balmy and pleasant. Many prefer to visit Bucharest in autumn, as it is then that the city is at its most romantic. Walk along Calea Victoriei, the city’s most picturesque street, dotted with some of the city’s most important landmarks. You will feel the same romance that once made Bucharest proudly wear the nickname ‘Little Paris’.
This is the time when the city’s cultural agenda becomes busy again, and the city pulses with exhibitions and concerts. The terraces will be busy as well, since the heat has ebbed, and the cold hasn’t settled in yet.
Winter (December – February)
If visiting in winter, you’ll be reminded that Romania lies in Eastern Europe when you pack your bags. Although there have been surprisingly warm winters, this time of year can be very cold, with temperatures dipping below -15 degrees Celsius (5 degrees F). For many, winter gives the city a touch of nostalgia. In early December, the city is wrapped in its Christmas lights, which are customised every year. Throughout the month exhibitions and fairs are held in indoor and outdoor venues around the city. If you visit on December 1st, make sure to save time to drink a glass of mulled wine with locals while they celebrate Romania’s National Day.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.