When you’ve only got 24 hours to spend in Bucharest, every minute counts. We’ve rounded up the best places for you to visit, eat and party to help you make the best of you available time between the first coffee and that very last cocktail.
Kick off your day at any hour with a strong coffee at Origo, offering some of the best brews in the city. Conveniently positioned near the Old Centre, it opens up the possibility to visit the imposing Palace of the Parliament before the crowds show up and head over to the Cișmigiu Gardens for a stroll or a game of chess with the locals. If the former option holds the most appeal, do not miss Domnița Bălașa, one of Bucharest’s most beautiful churches.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Alternatively, start your 24-hour adventure in Piața Amzei, where plenty of cafes, such as M60, serve great coffee and delicious cakes. Since you’re already in the neighbourhood, continue toward Calea Victoriei, where most attractions are located. Check out the Museum of Collections, the National Museum of Art of Romania or the George Enescu Museum, all located among Bucharest’s busiest historic avenue.
If a lovely afternoon of sightseeing revolves around a hearty meal, a stop at Dianei 4 is a great option; they offer delicious Romanian food as well as contemporary cuisine dishes. Alternatively, grab lunch on the go and head to the Village Museum for a quiet afternoon among old traditional Romanian houses and churches gathered in a collection that showcases the variety of building styles of the country. Architecture lovers will enjoy walking along Dacia Boulevard, lined with shady old trees and imposing richly adorned historic villas that speak of Bucharest’s glorious interwar years that earned it the nickname Little Paris.
The winding streets behind Piața Romana are also full of treasures. The Frederic and Cecilia Cuțescu-Storck Art Museum should appeal to both art and history lovers since it gathers under one roof the works of a family of creators that left a mark on the city’s history. Spending the afternoon in Cotroceni neighbourhood, one of Bucharest’s quaintest and most charming, is a great option; a trip to the Botanical Gardens can easily be combined with a visit of the Cotroceni Museum.
The recipe for a nice evening in Bucharest involves a hearty dinner. Caru’ cu Bere in the Old Centre is still among the best options for a traditional Romanian meal – it’s popular among locals and tourists alike.
Alternatively, allow Bucharest to offer its best rendition of some of the most enticing cuisines of the world and stop by the area surrounding the Romanian Atheneum, where French food restaurant Le Bistrot Francais, Caju by Joseph Haddad and Sushi Room have raised the bar for quality. The up-and-coming neighbourhood of Floreasca offers delicious Asian food at Yuki Japanese Home Dining and Thai cuisine at restaurant Tuk Tuk, plus there’s the Pasta Restaurant, an eatery specialising in, well, you’ve guessed it.
If you love cocktails, head to Fix Me a Drink in Palatul Universul to sample some very original herb-infused creations and enjoy the coSiness of the decor. Beer lovers on a mission to discover the best Romanian craft beers should look no further than Fabrica de Bere Bună. Its 10 taps offer the freshest beer in Bucharest, made by true local pioneers of the craft with a genuine passion for beer.
Nights in Bucharest can be anything you make them, so head to Control Club for a night of electronic music, Expirat for a lighter and brighter side of the musical charts or opt for Fratelli Social Club or Gaia Boutique Club to enjoy the glamorous side of partying in Bucharest. However, if you’re only looking for a pub-crawl/dancing-till-dawn kind of evening, the Old Centre has never disappointed. Finish off with a late night cocktail at one of the Old Centre’s sky bars and catch the sun rise over the city.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.