Endless canals and romantic gondola rides await your arrival in Venice, Italy. Tuck up cosy in bed with one of the best bed and breakfasts in the Floating City, available to book with Culture Trip.
Everyone knows Venice is a blow-the-budget, once-in-a-lifetime destination. But it doesn’t have to be that way. Swerve the lavish high-end hotels and book into one of the city’s charming B&Bs instead to enjoy this enchanting fairytale city stress-free. Wander cobbled alleyways past lapping canals, peek into ornate churches and discover peaceful squares for people-watching over a cappuccino, knowing you don’t have to face a daunting final hotel bill. These are our favourite bed and breakfasts to keep costs down in this spectacular Italian city.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
There’s another side to Venice away from the tourist-packed main squares. Wander a little further to discover the city known only by its residents, with quiet streets and local shops. This family-run property is squeezed between a lush Venetian garden and a medieval courtyard, and is still only a short walk from the lively bars of Cannaregio and the city’s major attractions. Al fresco breakfast on the sun-dappled terrace is worth checking in for alone.
This B&B with boutique flair, just a few minutes’ stroll from St Mark’s Square, is one seriously stylish property. Rooms have hip bare brick walls or opulent brocade wallpaper with purple velvet drapes, intricate carved beds, antique furniture and deep red accents for a grand feel. The real bonus is the top-floor reading room and spacious terrace, where you can sip a bellini with a view over Venice’s rooftops.
No need to stagger down to breakfast on your well-deserved holiday at this lovely B&B in the quiet neighbourhood of Santa Croce, a five-minute walk from the Rialto Bridge and 15 minutes from Santa Lucia train station. The most important meal of the day is served in your bedroom until 10am each morning, so you can come round in your own time in elegant bedrooms decked out in cream with gold touches.
Art lovers couldn’t be in a better spot at this B&B within a striking 17th-century building. The property overlooks the Rio della Fornace and is right next to the unmissable Peggy Guggenheim Collection and Venice’s most iconic museum, Gallerie dell’Accademia. This is also a great option for families, as spacious suites sleep up to four people and come with canal views.
There’s more to Venice than St Mark’s Square. This townhouse B&B in a 14th-century building is a 10-minute walk from Campo San Polo, the city’s second largest square yet often overlooked by day-tripping tourists. The Rialto Bridge and the Basilica dei Frari are close by, while a nearby vaporetto (water bus) stop means the rest of the city is within easy reach. The property also has its own mooring on the Grand Canal for travelling by water taxi.
This B&B in Riva San Biasio, on the road from St Mark’s Square to the Biennale Gardens, may offer smart neutral rooms and a generous buffet breakfast – but it’s the view that really wows guests. The windows and terraces overlook the Lido of Venice and the island of San Giorgio for a vista you’ll never tire of. When you do drag yourself away, the neighbourhood of Castello is on the doorstep with its parks, pavement cafes and bars away from the tourist crowds.
In this famously romantic city, it can be difficult to find a place to stay if you’re travelling with children. This city centre B&B is a great option, close to kid-friendly attractions like the Leonardo da Vinci Museum. There are also family restaurants a few minutes’ walk away, and modern rooms include an apartment that sleeps five comfortably.
Designed by its Venetian architect owner and run by his American wife, it’s no surprise this property in a 15th-century palazzo on the Grand Canal is a cut above the average B&B. The location is already unbeatable, in the quiet Santa Croce district close to all the big-ticket attractions, while this inviting five-room B&B has its own statue-lined courtyard, guest kitchen and chic contemporary rooms. Three of these face the Grand Canal itself for a truly unforgettable stay.
This is a rewrite of an article originally by Sarah Gillespie.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.