The trendy Milan area of Navigli boasts countless cafés, bars and eateries, which take full advantage of their picturesque canalside positions. Here, Culture Trip selects the best.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Restaurant, Italian, $
The charming decor of Trattoria Milanese is enough to tempt any visitor, with promises of hearty Italian cuisine beckoning all who wander past this Navigli staple – and its food truly inspires. The Lombardy region in Northern Italy differs quite significantly from its southern counterparts, in that meat and butter are preferred to the tomatoes and olive oil used in some more well-known Italian dishes. From its famous risotto with osso buco to its daily range of home-made desserts, Trattoria Milanese serves up some traditional Lombardy specialities and genuine Italian hospitality. Be sure to sample some of the excellent local wines on offer for the perfect relaxing evening or dinner date with friends.
Le Striatelle di Nonna Mafalda
Bistro, Sandwich Shop, Italian
Le Striatelle di Nonna Mafalda is a firm favourite among Milanese locals. Located on Via Vigevano, a short stroll from Naviglio Grande, this unassuming café’s casual theme belies the incredible food on offer. The geniuses behind Le Striatelle combine quintessential Milanese ingredients and modern, creative flair to produce some unique dishes. It specialises in seafood, with the octopus dishes particularly (such as the octopus with black rice) recommended. However, it also offers home-made pasta, a type of Italian flatbread sandwich called striatelle and delicious vegetarian options, including pumpkin or tomato and cheese gnocchi. Pair your meal with its locally made beers. Pro tip: If your Italian isn’t up to scratch, use the handy QR code located on the menu to launch an English version.
Restaurant, Italian, $$
If you’re in the mood for a contemporary feast, there’s no going past 28 Posti. Its historical location is a wonder in and of itself, having been restored by master craftsmen to create a romantic and dramatic old-world atmosphere. World-renowned chef Marco Ambrosino (previously of Copenhagen’s NOMA, the four-time winner of the ‘Best Restaurant in the World’ title) has created a delightfully modern menu, drawing inspiration from both local ingredients and more unusual and striking concoctions. For a decadent experience, opt for a tasting menu, available in five, eight or 10 courses. They change every two months but always feature some of the restaurant’s staple dishes, including the tagliolini with dark leek, caper powder and candied lemon. Book early to avoid disappointment.
Restaurant, Italian, $$
Offering inventive takes on classic Italian and Lombardian cuisines, tailored to international palates, El Brellin is another excellent high-end dining option in Navigli. This tavern-style restaurant is spread across two floors and five dining rooms and also features a charming back garden, perfect for making the most of warm spring and summer days. Its traditional risotto milanese with saffron is everything you’d expect from such an establishment, but also try some of its more original creations, such as the grilled goose salami with cabbage jam or purple potato gnocchi with sturgeon. The chef is also happy to cater to those with allergies or dietary restrictions. Top off your meal with a sampling of the exquisite local Lombardian wines or one of the whiskeys or champagnes on offer.
Restaurant, Seafood, $
Zio Pesce, or ‘Uncle Fish’, is the go-to for seafood in Navigli. The restaurant’s theme is casual, while the fare on offer is diverse and imaginative. The relaxed atmosphere and reasonable prices of this centrally located favourite make it a hotspot for residents and tourists alike. For a seafood feast, try the shellfish platter, or for something a little different, peruse the ‘Unusual Fish Menu’ for ostriche (oyster) delicacies and more. The restaurant takes large group bookings, so if you’re travelling with family or a band of friends, you’ll be happily catered to here.
The Brisket Smokehouse
Restaurant, BBQ, $
In the mood for something other than the Italian standards? For a taste of Texas in Navigli, you must try The Brisket Smokehouse. The meaty wonders within are nothing short of carnivorous hedonistic heaven. Lucas, partner and restaurant chef, spent some time perfecting the Texan smoking technique in the USA and brings his methods to the pulled pork, ribs, bone marrow, pico de gallo and more. The warm and welcoming atmosphere within will have you spending many a happy hour digesting with a few local beers.
Bistro, Restaurant, Italian, Seafood, $
Any night of the week, you’ll likely find this restaurant filled with diners, both inside and out. Located alongside the canal, Sabbia D’Oro specialises in authentic Italian cuisine within a charming, lively and stylish atmosphere. The friendly service keeps many a resident coming back each week to sample the crab linguine and other home-made pasta dishes on offer. Make a booking unless you plan to visit early, as you’re unlikely to find a spare table once the post-aperitivo crowd arrives.
Restaurant, Bar, Cocktail Bar, Italian, Seafood, $
Officina 12 is as much about the ambience as it is about the food. A mix of moody, warm vibes and industrial-chic brickwork, the interior contains a gallery-style dining room that glamorously overlooks the first floor. The restaurant specialises in charcoal-fired cooking, fresh-made pasta and freshly caught seafood. The venue also incorporates a gin bar – aptly named Gino 12 and boasting over 100 speciality gins – where patrons can retire for a nightcap or two after their meal or enjoy some antipasti right at the bar.
Restaurant, Italian, $
Perfect for a tranquil evening among nature, Erba Brusca is named after the fields of sorrel – a herb that would be referred to as erba brusca in the local dialect – that once filled its orchard. The decor (wood and natural materials) reflect the natural philosophy of the restaurant, and the menu showcases a classic choice of dishes, most of which feature herbs that are grown in its vegetable garden, including parsley, basil and camomile. While soaking up the sunshine under the back garden’s pergola, you can try many dishes featured in its four- and six-course evening menus. Erba Brusca lies at the far end of the Navigli Pavese, away from the chaos of the grand canal. On a warm day, cycle to the restaurant, or take the tram from Porta Genova.
Belé’s dimly lit dining room sets the mood for a special night, complete with exceptional Italian cuisine and an impressive drinks menu. The reviews of this restaurant are enough to make your mouth water, and there’s plenty to surprise even the most discerning foodie here. From the elegant antipasti, including prosciutto d’anatra, to the traditional risotto and tagliolini for which Milan is renowned, the menu is packed with playful interpretations of classic recipes. The sweet potato mousse is a must, as are the restaurant’s expertly crafted cocktails.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.