Rome’s most famous square, Piazza Navona, is famed for its multiple fountains, imposing church and lively atmosphere. For a guaranteed good meal, check out our list of 10 tried-and-tested restaurants in this area.
Just steps away from the elegant antique shops on Via dei Coronari, you might not expect to stumble upon such a local and honest spot. Serving everything from Roman classics and wood-fired pizza to a wide range of fresh fish dishes (an anomaly at a casual place in Rome), Ristorante Fiammetta has you covered. It has homey service, great prices and both indoor and outdoor seating. This place is a hidden treasure for a great meal close to all the action.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Armando al Pantheon
Having been mentioned in countless guides, blogs and publications, Armando al Pantheon is no secret. However, lying just a stone’s throw from the Pantheon, it is a great bet for a quality lunch or dinner. This institution, which has been around since 1961, was originally a wine bar that served dishes cooked up by chef Armando Gargioli. It quickly gained a reputation for its food and atmosphere, attracting a slew of local and international celebrities. It has a wood-panelled interior with crisp white tablecloths, yet remains unpretentious and homey.
Retrobottega is the brainchild of chefs Alessandro Miocchi and Giuseppe Lo Iudice. They refined their skills under Michelin-starred chefs and decided to create a novel dining experience in Rome. This food ‘laboratory’ features an open-style kitchen, where the chefs are on view as they prepare meals, with a dozen stools and a communal table. The aim of the restaurant is to prepare food in creative ways, minimising food waste and focussing on quality ingredients. Try the tasting menu to sample a variety of dishes, each one more beautiful than the last.
This trattoria is charming precisely for its simplicity. Rustic, local and located on one of the loveliest streets of Rome, Da Tonino serves traditional dishes. Locals and tourists flock here for its casual atmosphere, quick service and great prices. The dishes are abundant, well-prepared and the whole place transmits a heartwarming throw-back to the olden days. Try it for a very Roman experience.
A great trattoria and pizzeria in the centre, Da Francesco has the good fortune of being situated right in Piazza del Fico, one of the loveliest squares in the city. It has been around since 1957 and has an ample menu, excelling at everything it serves: pastas, grilled meats, pizzas and desserts. As is the trend with traditional trattorie, it is no frills and the focus is on the food. Try the filetto al pepe verde, steak with a creamy green pepper sauce. Or, opt for one of the Roman-style pizzas: perfectly thin, crispy and tasty.
For a straightforward and satisfying meal, Il Corallo is a sure bet. The cobblestone street is lined with red-and-white checkered tables, making for a nice outdoor atmosphere, and the menu has all your usual suspects. The fettuccine with funghi porcini is delicious, as is the fettuccine with gorgonzola and walnuts. Il Corallo also serves great pizza.
If you’re looking for a date night spot and a change of scenery from the no-frills restaurants in Rome, head to Casa Coppelle for a refined vibe and romantic decor. Styled as a swanky reading room from a different era (albeit a fair bit larger), this restaurant serves Italian-French fusion dishes. You’ll see everything from escargots and foie gras to pastas with lobster, truffles or prawns. With plenty of paintings, mood lighting, velvet curtains and attentive service, the whole experience is supremely decadent.
This colourful restaurant has interesting dishes and a lovely design that sets it apart from other spots in the city. Coromandel is best known for its continental-style brunch, serving up eggs benedict, pancakes and bacon. However, it also has an ample dinner menu that incorporates plenty of sweet and savoury flavours to its cuisine for a special dining experience. It even has a tasting menu that you can kick up a notch with a wine pairing menu to round out your meal.
This cosy restaurant is one of the best places to get comfort food in the centre of Rome. With its wooden interior and rustic touches, Old Bear resembles a medieval tavern. This makes it a particularly atmospheric spot on winter evenings. The menu is extensive, and also includes some French and Bavarian flavours. Try any of the tantalising timballo dishes. These oven-baked pastas resemble a lasagna and come in various flavours, including pumpkin with speck, mushrooms and truffles, or eggplant and mozzarella.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.