Start your trip with a typical Italian breakfast of cappuccino and croissant. Bologna is one of the most famous towns in Italy for gastronomy: The town has plenty of nice places to eat, just choose one and order your meal. Remember that, like in the rest of Italy, many locales ask an extra charge for sitting, so be careful and, if you don’t want to waste your money, just sip your cappuccino at the bar. Don’t eat too much at breakfast, or later you’ll not be able to enjoy so many more excellent delicacies.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The first place to visit in Bologna is Asinelli Tower. It is one of the two towers in town, the other is Garisenda which is not able to be visited. Asinelli is the symbol of the city, built in the 12th century when Bologna was one of the most powerful and important towns of Europe. Once here, climb the 498 steps to reach the top of the tower and admire the best panorama of Bologna and surrounding hills. This was also the favorite spot in town of the German poet Goethe, who visited the city several times.
The other not-to-miss place in Bologna is Piazza Maggiore, also called the heart of the city. Here, you’ll find the most important buildings of the town: Palazzo del Podestà, Palazzo Comunale, Neptune fountain and Basilica of Saint Petronious. This is the largest church of Bologna and Emilia Romagna region, which was supposed to be, in the medieval times, the biggest church of the world. When the Vatican heard about that, it halted construction, and the basilica was left unfinished. Still today the façade is not completed and even if it’s not beautiful like other Italian churches, it has its charm and is worth a visit.
After all this traipsing, you really deserve to rest your feet and eat. Bologna is one of the best destination for food enthusiasts, so you are lucky: It’s not hard to find great food at good price. You can sit in a restaurant and order lasagna, spaghetti al ragù (bolognese sauce), tortellini, or if you prefer you can taste its gorgeous street food, such as panino with mortadella and piadina, flatbread with ham and cheese. No matter your decision, everything in Bologna is fabulous. One of the coolest places to eat typical delicacies is La Piazzola, the oldest open-air market of the town.
If you need to spend some time relaxing, you only have to get out of the city and reach the amazing Sanctuary of Saint Luke, Santuario di San Luca. This spectacular religious building is located outside of the city centre atop on the Guardia hill, one of the most famous hills of Bologna. It is situated about 300 meters above the city and offers terrific views over Bologna. Another thing you can do is rent a car and ride through the gorgeous hills which surround the city.
Bologna is a university town, thuus, it’s a very lively city. It has also a vibrant cultural life. Bologna is home to many well-known museums and art galleries. The most famous in town is MamBo, museum of modern art of Bologna, which is one of the coolest contemporary art galleries in Italy. It displays a large collection of artworks by Giorgio Morandi (one of the greatest Italian painters of the 20th century) and other artists, such as Renato Guttuso.
There is nothing better than starting your night out with a cool aperitivo in one of the pubs frequented by students. Bologna has plenty of these kind of places, but the best and cheapest are located in Via Augusto Righi, the main street of the student district.
If you are asking yourself what to do at night in this ancient town in the middle of Italy, don’t worry, Bologna is one of the liveliest Italian cities with a lot of things to do. You can drink a cocktail in one of the several pubs located in the historical centre, spend some fun moments in a discotheque, or simply stroll through the city centre and admire the beauties of the town when the sun goes down.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.