Italy is one of the most breathtaking parts of Europe and can be incredibly easy to travel around by rail. From the historical sites of Rome and Pompeii to the beautiful rolling Tuscan hills of Florence and the famous Venetian canals, this country has it all. Whatever the length of your trip, our interrailing guide is perfect should you be planning on visiting multiple cities in Italy!
What is interrailing?
Interrailing is travelling across Europe by train or ferry, whether in a single country or across multiple. Purchasing an Interrail Pass allows unlimited travel in Europe over a number of days, based on the pass you purchased – making this method of travelling perfect for those looking to explore with less restrictions than flights.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
How do I book tickets?
Firstly, you will need to purchase an Interrail pass based on your travel plans, from interrail.eu. Note: The pass is only valid once you reach the first destination that isn’t your home country. You can then use Interrail’s train timetable to find out times of trains to and from your desired destinations.
Some trains will require reservations at a cost (mostly high-speed trains within the same country or those crossing borders), but you can avoid reservation fees by taking slower regional trains. On some routes, you can’t avoid reservations, but at least you are guaranteed a seat! There is a more in-depth guide to Italy train routes and reservations here.
Tip: avoid Interrail.eu’s €6 fee per train reservation by booking through italiarail.com instead. Simply select the class of your Interrail pass from the drop-down menu on the home page.
Where in Italy should I visit?
Where to visit really does depend on what you are looking to do. If you are looking to visit the main cities and hit the top tourist attractions, then we’d recommend checking out places like Rome, Pompeii, Naples, Florence, Milan, Bologna, Verona and Venice.
For a more ‘peaceful’ Interrailing trip across Italy, you should look at the likes of Amalfi Coast, Bari, Sorrento, Genoa, Lake Como, Lake Garda and Trieste – but travelling this route in full would take significantly longer.
Suggested interrailing route
Naples – Pompeii – Rome – Florence – Pisa – Bologna – Milan – Lake Como – Verona – Lake Garda – Venice
By spending two to three nights in each of the cities in bold, you will not only be able to explore those cities themselves, but you can use it as a base for nearby places. Example: three nights in Florence will allow you to visit Pisa, take an excursion in to the Tuscan hills (wine tour) and see enough of Florence.
This route should take between 14 to 21 nights. By planning your longest journeys in advance you can utilise a six-day Interrail pass.
Low budget: Hostels are your friend! We’ve seen prices as little as €9/10 a night if you book in advance. For those looking to meet new people or simply party, this option is for you.
Mid budget: Airbnb offers a fantastic solution for those who don’t like the idea of a hostel but can’t quite afford a hotel. Most Airbnb owners will know the local area too and can often give you tips on where to go if you’re unsure. This is a massive benefit when travelling in a new country.
High budget: All Italian cities offer a fantastic choice of hotels, but be aware that you’re often paying for the location more than the quality of hotel. In instances where you only have one night in a city, you may have to compromise location over quality to maximise your stay. For three-night stays, you might want to splash out a little on somewhere better.
To conclude, Italy is a fantastic country to Interrail across, whatever route you decide to take. You can make things easier for yourself by booking your longest train journeys in advance and buying tickets online for the bigger tourist attractions – like the Rome Colosseum and pretty much any gallery or museum in Florence!
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.