Florence has plenty to offer any visitor. From tasty cuisine to outstanding examples of Renaissance art and architecture, it’s one of the most popular travel destinations in the world for good reason. But it’s also a great place to base yourself to explore the rest of Italy, with many experiences that go beyond the city limits showcasing the best the surrounding region has to offer.
Get a taste of Italy with our Great Italian Summer Escape before checking out some of the best trips you can take from Florence.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
When you’re in the narrow, cobblestone confines of Florence, it might seem as if the seaside is a world away, but just northwest of the city is Italy’s famous Cinque Terre, a collection of five villages on the coastline of the Italian Riviera. Explore the region’s crystal-clear waters and cliffside dwellings on a trip that begins with the port city of La Spezia, just a two-and-a-half-hour drive from Florence. Other highlights on this tour include the Medieval town of Riomaggiore, a stroll along Via dell’Amore (Path of Love) in Manarola and a boat trip to Vernazza.
With its legendary leaning tower, an architectural marvel that still captures the imagination of all who visit, Pisa is one of Italy’s must-visit destinations. Find out more about the tower’s construction and how local engineers are working to save it as part of this afternoon day trip, and enjoy the stunning scenery of Tuscany on the drive from Florence to Pisa and back.
The Tuscan region is known for producing some of the finest wines in the world. And a drive through the Chianti wine region affords wonderful views of the area’s bountiful foliage, lush greenery and rolling vineyards. This five-hour scenic tour captures the boundless beauty of Tuscany and includes a tour of the Monteriggioni fortress. The town was mentioned in Dante’s Divine Comedy, and the ancient walls have been meticulously maintained over the years. The trip ends with a visit to a charming Chianti wine estate, where you can sample some wine, salami and bruschetta.
This particular tour clocks in at under five hours but manages to squeeze in two wineries in Chianti Classico. This whistle-stop trip is perfect for small groups interested in learning a little more about the techniques involved in producing wine using tried-and-tested methods. You’ll be able to dive into the local viniculture and even sample some fresh olive oil.
Val D’Orcia, a valley in the heart of Tuscany and a UNESCO World Heritage Site, is home to the towns of Montalcino, Pienza and Montepulciano, all of which will be visited on this one-day tour. The region is known for its pecorino cheese, as it is one of only a handful of locations allowed to produce the cheese outside of Sardinia, and which you’ll get to sample with some exceptional wine pairings. Some of the stops on this full-day trip are elevated above the rolling hills of Tuscany, meaning you’ll get to take in some of the best views around. The sheer beauty and majesty of the region are perfectly encapsulated on this unique tour.
The distinctive roar of Ferrari engines will be ringing in your ears after a trip to the world-famous home of the car manufacturer affectionately known as the ‘prancing horse’. The Ferrari Museum is situated in Maranello, a two-hour drive north of Florence, where there is a testing track, a large F1 simulator and a collection of vintage cars that established Ferrari as a prestige brand almost a century ago. If you’ve got the stomach for it after the adrenaline-fuelled fun of the morning at the museum, the next stop is the world’s largest agri-food market, where you can try the delicious balsamic vinegar of Modena. This trip ends in Bologna, which has become one of the top destinations for foodies in Europe.
Filmmakers love Tuscany thanks to its incredible natural scenery. This tour offers the ideal combination of movies and locally produced wine, a pairing that showcases the region at its best. You’ll first head from Florence to Siena, the Medieval town that is known for its Palio horse race, and which has also been the setting for several Hollywood movies such as Quantum of Solace (2008) and 6 Underground (2019). Nearby Montepulciano saw vampires descend upon it in The Twilight Saga: New Moon (2009) and will be your next stop, before you head to the olive groves of Cortona, which were seen in Under the Tuscan Sun (2003).
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.