Art lovers, foodies and outdoor enthusiasts are all catered for at these storied Sicily stays, dotted from coast to countryside.
Whether you love a design-forward hotel in Catania, a luxurious wine estate on the slopes of Mount Etna or an art-accented retreat brimmed with a museum-worthy haul, these small-scale Sicilian hotels will spoil guests of all persuasions. Book today with Culture Trip.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
One for foodies and wine enthusiasts (so, everyone, really), this cave-carved luxury hotel in Sicily sits in the Unesco-listed Baroque centre of hilltop Ragusa, a few hundred metres from the hotel’s sister Michelin-star restaurant. The hotel is housed in a 19th-century palazzo with exposed limestone walls, rock-cut staircases and off-white cave-like rooms that please even the most high-maintenance of guests: one suite even has a rock-hewn hot tub. The restaurant – headed by Sicilian chef Vincenzo Candiano, who scours land and sea for the best produce – also features a wine cellar packed with more than 1,000 wines.
Set in a medieval abbey in the Madonie Natural Park, just beyond the coastal city of Cefalù along the north Sicilian coast, this eco-friendly retreat is the perfect basecamp for hikes, bike rides, horseback tours and adventures in the surrounding countryside laced with olive groves and vineyards. The resort houses its own winery with organic and biodynamic products, as well as an outdoor swimming pool and a restaurant where you can sample fresh produce from the abbey’s own garden.
A convenient base for exploring the Baroque towns of the Val di Noto, this simple and snug hotel offers fair pricing, a great location in Scicli, cute rooms with frescoed ceilings and a gratis breakfast buffet. Paintings and sculptures from Il Gruppo di Scicli – a local group of artists – give the spaces a personal, artsy touch. The biggest room can sleep four people, making it a great bet for families and friend groups travelling on a budget.
This boutique hotel is the cherry on top of your romantic retreat, with roof terraces overlooking the bay and Mount Etna, country-chic decor and an outdoor pool that your partner will thank you for. Rooms are note-perfect, too: decked out in Pantone-perfect shades, accented with tactile velvet touches. Its location in Taormina – an east coast hilltop town, dubbed the Sicilian Saint-Tropez – lays on luxury boutiques along the famous Corso Umberto, top-notch seafood restaurants and the beautiful Isola Bella, a postcard-worthy island, which you can reach by foot. Instagram-perfect photos are guaranteed.
Winner of Wallpaper* magazine’s Best Urban Hotel in 2018, these design-forward rooms in the heart of Catania are an inspiring choice for contemporary art lovers. An homage to Sicily’s artistic melting pot, every suite has been individually dressed up in an eclectic mix of design classics with original 17th-century floors, requisite Italian frescoes and art by Sergio Fiorentino, Domenico Pellegrino and Gaetano Pesce, who has exhibited at the likes of LA’s Museum of Contemporary Art.
One of Italy’s three most important wine-producing areas, the volcanic territory of Mount Etna should be on top of any aspiring sommelier’s bucket list. So should this wine estate and vineyard hotel, hidden between the olive groves and vines of Etna’s foothills – a location chosen over 300 years ago by the 18th-century monks of the St Anne’s order. And we can’t blame them: with its views of the Mediterranean and mountains, this is one to worship. It’s all about going slowly here: freewheel on bike rides through the 60-acre (24ha) estate, indulge in a holistic massage or take part in a Sicilian cooking lesson to master age-old recipes that endure today.
The perfect fusion of bed-and-breakfast hospitality and hotel comfort, this idyllic townhouse in the Sicilian countryside is great for a few days of relaxation. The four-course morning feast alone is reason to stay a while: served on antique porcelain plates, it’s different every day, but always includes fresh produce from the area, such as local cheeses and Sicilian sweets, including cannoli and cookies. With an outdoor pool, lush gardens and barbecue area, you can easily idle away a whole weekend here.
Vintage lovers and romantic souls will love this bucolic retreat, conveniently positioned between the sight-filled cities of Noto and Syracuse, in the Sicilian countryside. Owner Elena has searched far and wide for all the antique treasures, now artfully displayed between gallery-esque limestone walls: from the floral serving trays to the vintage mirrors, small details run deep here. Oh, and don’t miss a visit to the tourist-free, Unesco-listed town of Palazzolo Acreide, a 30-minute drive away, for its lavish Baroque architecture and Greek amphitheatre, framed by the Hyblaean Mountains.
Sicily is a great destination for budget travellers, as so many of its unexplored villages offer affordable places to sleep and eat (leaving money for those all-important cocktails and gelatos). This elegantly furnished, small-scale hotel is one such bang-for-buck place. It’s positioned on the waterfront boulevard in Ortigia, the small island on which Syracuse’s historical centre is located, and offers a free breakfast with organic local ingredients, as well as a sea-view roof terrace and simple yet stylish rooms.
Travellers wishing to splurge on countryside luxury will love this family-owned wine estate: with an infinity pool overlooking the surrounding vineyards, an exquisite restaurant and an interesting calendar of wine tastings and cooking courses, you’re granted space to do as much (or little) as you like. The Planeta family are among the top wine producers in Sicily and have hospitality flowing through their veins, with every small detail designed to make guests feel at home and cared for.
Looking for somewhere different to stay? We know just where to stay to experience Sicily like a local, bookable through Culture Trip. Inspire your itinerary with the top things to see and do on this Mediterranean island; don’t miss the top hiking trails. When in Palermo, we know just the bars to relax in.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.