Bologna, whilst not nearly as metropolitan as Milan or as touristy as Florence, nevertheless manages to house 100,000 students and be bustling till the early hours with young people drinking, eating and enjoying life. It isn’t your average sleepy Italian setting – this restless city is full of surprises, both culinary, musical, and architectural. We take a look at the most unexpected finds in beautiful Bologna.
Known for its al dente tagliatelle al ragù, cram-packed tortellini and the gently sparkling (and delightfully economical) Pignoletto white wine, Bologna is—without doubt—foodie heaven. Each year it hosts some of the finest chocolate vendors in the region, challenging Belgium and Switzerland for the cacao crown. For five days people gather from across Italy under the shadow of the resplendent Basilica of San Petronio to buy chocolate in all its forms from Cioccoshow. Who knew that chocolate-covered orange rind could draw such a crowd? Alongside plenty of stalls, there are masterclasses and even free espresso tasting events. If you’re not a fan of chocolate, artisan ales and a full rainbow spectrum of teas can be found here too. It’s the perfect place for desert after an aperitivo in the nearby charcuteries of Via Pescherie Vecchie.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Bologna, as the birthplace of Corelli, remains a pilgrimage sight for Baroque music fans. So it might be a shock to find an annual electronic music festival named ‘RoBot’ occuring here. Combining global acts like Jon Hopkins and stunning venues like Palazzo Re Enzo, the headline nights of the RoBot music festival sell out every year. It hosts every kind of electronic sound, boasting audiovisual spectaculars and films as well. Going strong since 2008, the festival gets bigger and louder each year, recently growing to include activities for kids and even a hackathon.
The Real Leaning Tower
Everyone knows the leaning tower of Pisa and about half of us have used perspective to our advantage to take a funny ‘look, I’m holding it up!’ pic. While Bologna is known for its two towers, the tallest of which was named Asinelli after the family who owned it, few know that it is in fact much taller than its Tuscan adversary, at a whopping 97 metres. The steps may get narrower, and there’s a chance you’ll have to get on your hands and knees at the top, but the views of the starlings swirling over terracotta rooftops is unmissable.
A Library With a Secret
Salaborsa is a beautiful and popular library with a host of nice cafes, but the truly exciting part is beneath your feat – under a glass floor lie the remnants of the old city, a kind of archaeological dig you can actually walk in. With free admission, everyone is welcome to scope out the Roman wells and walls before a bit of light reading and a morning cappuccino, before heading up to the Fountain of Neptune in all its sun-tinged glory.
Bologna is not only one of the oldest universities in the world, but also one of the largest. With a student population approaching 100,000 (up to 10% of which is international), you can’t walk for five minutes without finding some kind of student protest or politicized graffiti. Just watch out for the deadly whistle demonstrations – they can reputedly knock out your hearing for a good few days.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.