Running for 8km (5mi) along ancient mule routes, through hillside villages, and serving up heart-stopping views of the Amalfi Coast, the Path of the Gods is Italy’s ultimate hiking route.
The Path of the Gods has been a popular walking route for centuries, and it’s not hard to see why. Winding along crumbling cliff sides, not only do you get some of the best views of the Amalfi Coast, you get them free from the usual tourist crowds. Follow our guide and you’ll be set for this once-in-a-lifetime hiking excursion.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Embark on an epic adventure in southern Italy by joining Culture Trip’s expertly curated 10-day trip. You’ll cruise the Amalfi Coast, sample street food in Naples and explore the Itria Valley by e-bike.
Know where to start
You have a few options on where to kick off your hike. The more popular spot to begin the walk, known as Il Sentiero degli Dei, is in Bomerano, a small section of the Agerola municipality. It’s easy to reach by bus – get off at the Bomerano stop and follow the signs guiding you to the trailhead.
You can also start your journey at Praiano, although this requires you to ascend a large staircase to access the trailhead. Follow the red-and-white direction signs; you’ll take an entry path with views of the Convent of San Domenico.
First research which is the best access point for you, and get yourself there, either in a car (if you have one) or by public transport. Also remember to bring the right equipment such as comfortable, non-slip hiking boots, and a bottle of water to keep you hydrated in the persistent sun.
If you’re looking for a shorter getaway on the southern shores of Italy then how about our four-day Italian Coastal Adventure, taking in the street food of Naples and two jewel-like islands nearby.
Absorb the scenery
Along your trek you will encounter different terrains, and you’ll see the scenery evolve from tiered hills rich with shrubbery and crops, lending a local and domesticated feel, into grand displays of the Mediterranean Sea surrounded by tall trees and bushes.
You may think you’ve got lost in a maze of agriculture and forestry, and forget you are walking among the misty clouds that hang above the shimmering Mediterranean. Suddenly, your surroundings will open up like grand curtains to reveal numerous cliff faces and hillsides with dazzling views of the ocean and beaches below.
You will be taken on a course that goes up and down, edges on great cliff sides and varies in difficulty. The path gets slightly more challenging as it passes through Vallone Grarelle, before you reach the northern town of Nocelle, near Positano, where the trail ends.
Discover the lore of the gods
As you hike through this diverse topography, you will eventually come across different locales and artefacts that are reminiscent of the ancient peoples who used to traverse this area. You will enter a mythical arena littered with clandestine caves and carved stone abodes said to have been used by early travellers and settlers. It’s shrouded in legends of gods descending to the shores to meet the singing sirens who resided there.
Along the path you will experience what life may have been like travelling from small village to small village in the mid-1800s. Smell the fresh air perfumed with local plants and get lost in the immaculate view of islands and sea that unfurl before you.
Replenish with lunch
The Path of the Gods can take anything from three to five hours to complete, so it’s a good idea to pack nourishment for the road. Bring a light lunch from one of the local cafes, or make a pit stop for food on the way. A few restaurants are tucked into the scenery as you get nearer to Nocello.
Revel in your destination
The resplendent hike ends in Nocello, where you can either take a bus down the winding road along the coast or descend a 1,500-step staircase that leads to the village of Arienzo. Although it is a steep plunge, this route offers some magnificent views.
Now you can explore the northern sector of Positano. Stop in for one of the classic Italian aperitifs and discover the colours of the streets that stretch up the mountainside. Go shopping in this stylish part of town, or cool down with a scoop of gelato.
After relaxing post-hike and soaking up the vibrant life of this area, you can easily catch a bus or ferry back to wherever you are staying along the Amalfi Coast. Both of these options will provide breath-taking views on your way home. The Path of the Gods lives up to the name and is worthy of one of your days while visiting this exquisite part of Italy.
Looking for more recommendations? Here are some of the best things to do, or if you’d rather relax, enjoy a pre-dinner cocktail at one of the best bars in town before digging into a sumptuous meal at one of the best restaurants on the Amalfi Coast.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.