Off Rome’s tourist trail, but within walking distance of the magnificent Forum and Coliseum, this bohemian neighborhood is where trendy Romans go for food. From high-end restaurants to traditional joints, here are ten of Monti’s standout restaurants.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Ai Tre Scalini
Bar, Restaurant, Wine Bar, Italian, Wine, Beer, $
Alongside a comprehensive list of exclusively Italian wines, with an emphasis on local options from the Lazio area, Ai Tre Scalini boats a mouth-watering menu that includes hearty dishes such as porchetta and more creative options such as ricotta cheese with truffle honey. It gets packed in the evenings, around aperitivo time, and the crowds spill out onto the cobblestone streets late into the night to the sound of jazz and traditional Roman music.
Restaurant, Bistro, Italian, Vegetarian, $
The urban farmer’s dream, Aromaticus is a restaurant that sells plants, spices, herbs and even edible flowers, along with the tools you need to start your own backyard farm. But this place is not strictly vegetarian and the menu includes steak tartare using fine Piedmontese Fassona beef, carpaccio of salty cod with figs and almonds and an evolving variety of salads. Fresh juices, craft beers and a selective wine list complete its offerings. Come here for a light and healthy, but expertly crafted meal using the fresh ingredients.
A favorite lunch spot among businessmen and government workers from the nearby Quirinal Palace, Da Valentino is a vintage and old-fashioned trattoria. The menu includes a variety of typical meat and pasta dishes, but the standout is a grilled scamorza cheese prepared in all sorts of variations. Simple furniture with white tablecloths completes this unpretentious and classic Roman institution.
Gaudeo’s brief is simple: paninis, done in style. Founded in 2012 by a group of friends who sought to inject some passion into a standard snack, Gaudeo crafts fusions of the finest ingredients to create paninis you won’t find elsewhere. The bread is specially made by Antico Forno Roscioli, one of Rome’s oldest and best bakeries. The fillings are a varied list of cured meats, cheeses and vegetables. Customers can have their panini to go, or sit and enjoy it with a beer or wine.
L’Asino d’Oro is the creation of chef Lucio Sforza, who brought his trade from his native Umbria to a northern suburb of Rome, before opening his current venture in Monti in 2010. Sophisticated interior design featuring elegant modern furniture with red upholstery is mirrored in the well-presented food. Whether it’s wild boar cooked with chocolate, ‘drunk goose’ with cherries and pine nuts, or blancmange garnished with broccoli and horseradish, Sforza’s cooking is full of deliciously contrasting flavors. The set lunch offers some of the best value for money in Rome, with three gourmet courses and a glass of wine for €13.
Restaurant, Romanian, Italian, $
This traditional Roman osteria has been running since 1906, serving anyone who considered themselves a ‘lover of robust flavors.’ The name comes from the fact that the original chef was married to a carbonaio, a charcoal burner. Yet La Carbonara is as trendy as it is historic, and diners can write a message on the wall after their meals. The restaurant serves timeless Roman dishes such as ricotta and walnut ravioli and the pasta alla carbonara itself. For the more adventurous diners, La Carbonara is a good place to try offal or tripe, softened with assortments of vegetables.
La Taverna dei Fori Imperiali
Restaurant, Romanian, $
The grand name of this establishment pleasantly contrasts with the relaxed, down-to-earth nature of the restaurant, which has built a loyal following since it opened over a decade ago. La Taverna dei Fori Imperiali serves up delicious Roman and wider Italian food. Everything from trofie alla putanesca (a short pasta with a feisty olive, caper and tomato sauce) to pan-fried scallops cooked with ham and sage, or Sicilian swordfish feature on the menu. The walls are lined with photos of many famous clients who have eaten here, from iconic Italian-Americans such as Roberto de Niro and Al Pacino, to Lou Reed and Woody Allen.
Pizzeria Alle Carrette
Restaurant, Pizzeria, Italian
No list of Monti’s best cultural restaurants would be complete without an old-school pizzeria, and that’s where Alle Carrette comes in. This is a true neighborhood joint, with the same staff serving a loyal clientele for decades. Wood fired pizzas can be enjoyed in over 20 tried-and-tested recipes, such as margheritas served with mozzarella di bufala and argula, rocket, capriciosa, and calzones.Knowing their market, they serve little else beyond salads and fritti, typical Roman fried artichoke hearts and fried courgettes.
Restaurant, Diner, Italian, $$
Undoubtedly a contender for the best trattoria in Rome, Trattoria Monti is hugely popular due to its friendly service, stylish décor, and top-quality dishes. Booking well in advance is essential. Run by the Camerucci family from Marches, with the mother in the kitchen and two brothers out front, they bring a creative, well-balanced menu. Game finds its way onto the menu, such as the tagliatelle with duck or rabbit casserole, as well as the exquisite tortello al rosso d’uovo, large ravioli filled with raw egg yolk, ricotta and spinach.
Urbana 47 is about ‘zero kilometer’ food: fresh ingredients sourced from the local Lazio region, highlighting the countryside’s culinary value and including many organic and free-range products. Serving breakfast, lunch, tapas and dinner, there is a wide variety of exciting options on the menu like boiled rabbit salad with plums and pomegranate, stracchino cheese with grilled vegetables, persimmon marmalade and spelt crepes, and pumpkin muffins with cinnamon foam. A stylish, minimalist design, brick and piping still visible alongside simple iron chairs, puts Urbana 47 at the forefront of a new generation of trendy Roman restaurants. If not eating, free WiFi makes it the perfect place to relax over a coffee.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.