As part of the celebrations honouring Athens as UNESCO’s World Book Capital 2018, Atopos CVC has transformed their space into an immersive library and art installation. The results are big, fluffy and extremely Instagram-friendly.
Step inside Atopos CVC, and you’re guaranteed to be taken by surprise. The unassuming exterior of the fashion and art space in Metaxourgeio opens into a surreal and immersive library. It’s a chance to read books in the weirdest of environments.
The idea to transform the venue into a quirky and multi-sensory space was spearheaded by the artistic director of Atopos CVC, Vassilis Zidianakis. Under the title #TextMe, the space has been re-purposed to allow the imagination to run wild. On the ground floor, the #TextMe_Lab facilitates talks, workshops and mini exhibitions across a range of media, curated by Fil Ieropoulos.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
However, book lovers will find themselves most enchanted by the #TextMe_FluffyLibrary on the first floor of Atopos CVC. This space was imagined by the Greek artist Antigoni Tsagkaropoulou and invites visitors to participate through reading and play.
It’s a space that operates on several layers. The first is a childish space in which to enjoy oneself; it is also the most accessible. However, Antigoni Tsagkaropoulou’s installation pushes beyond this by using workshops, performances and talks within the area to consider themes of identity, intimacy, sexuality and co-existence.
The library is open until April 2019, and as the installation goes on, visitors will find that they will begin to witness the unfolding of an unconventional modern fairytale centred around the character of Fluffy. As the exhibition goes on, more and more elements are added to the space to create an increasingly diverse and eclectic landscape.
Through a depiction of Fluffy and the exploration of her character, Antigoni Tsagkaropoulou will also seek to spark conversations about identity and involve the audiences in an open and educational experience. During these performances, lucky visitors will find themselves in the midst of a wild, imaginative space.
Indeed, audience participation is actively encouraged. Visitors will find a range of costumes and props to dress up in, ensuring that they’re well equipped to explore the bizarre and surprising world of Fluffy and her friends.
On until April of next year, the exhibition speaks of the bold and exciting creative scene on offer in Athens. It’s an open invitation for literary and artistic aficionados and novices alike to participate in the joy of books and invention.
So, if you’re looking for a strange and original place to explore literature and have your imagination sparked, there’s nowhere else in Athens that can rival Atopos CVC.
TextMe_FluffyLibrary is at Atopos CVC, Salaminos 72, Metaxourgeio, Athens until April 23, 2019.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.