The art scene in Athens is vibrant and dynamic. Soaking up the rich plethora of modern culture on offer in the city is just as important as enjoying the Ancient ruins. Whether you’re only in town for a weekend or have the luxury of taking your time, these are the must-visit contemporary galleries to see in Athens.
An industrial space that houses a dynamic programme of contemporary art in Athens, Ileana Tounta Contemporary Art Centre is an essential visit for modern art lovers. Founded in 1988, the gallery was the first multi-purpose creative space in Athens, setting a new agenda for the contemporary art scene in the city. The dynamic programming has welcomed over 250 exhibitions since it opened, with a curatorial stance that champions Greek artists and represents them internationally. Alongside the multi-purpose gallery space is the urban garden. The open plan restaurant is a great spot to spend an evening with a menu that offers locally sourced, seasonal plates.
Founded in 2008, The Breeder is considered to be one of the most influential commercial galleries in Greece. Located in the trendy Metaxourgeio neighbourhood, it is a destination that is undoubtedly worth the journey. The space exhibits local and international artists, working as a channel between the Greek art scene and the wider world. The contemporary programming offers a wide range of media from video installations to sculpture, abstract painting and murals. Openings at The Breeder welcome a wide range of creatives and are always vibrant.
Founded in 2014 by Helena Papadopoulos and Andreas Melas, Radio Athènes is a non-profit contemporary art gallery in the centre of the city. While promoting a dynamic programme of modern art the gallery also functions as a bookstore and hosts events. Exhibitions are widely varied in their mediums and themes, ranging from meditations on political trials (Vangelis Vlahos: Objects to relate to a trial (Nov17)) to stories of failed relationships (Eleni Bagaki: ‘A book, a film, and a soundtrack’). Performances, readings, screenings and broadcasts all combine to make Radio Athènes a must-visit contemporary art space on your visit.
Founded in 1995, the Rebecca Camhi Gallery is a commercial space with a renowned reputation. The gallery was originally housed on Sophokleous Street but moved to Metaxourgeio in 2008 where it remains ten years on, housed within a neoclassical building. The programming has always emphasised the importance of exhibiting international names in Athens – previous exhibitors include Nan Goldin and Sylvie Fleury – however the space also welcomes and represents contemporary Greek artists. One of the most important shows in this vein was the group exhibition of young Greek artists in 2011. The show featured work by Alexia Karavela, Andreas Ragnar Kasapis, Chrysanthi Koumianaki and Vasilis Paspalis, pre-empting the need for unified narratives around the contemporary art scene in Greece. Alongside exhibitions the gallery also regularly hosts events, working as a cultural hotspot.
Founded by the renowned art critic and curator iLiana Fokianaki in 2013, State of Concept is an innovative and exploratory space at the heart of Athens. The gallery facilitates conversations about the social and political landscape not only in Greece, but about the state of Europe more widely. It offers a platform for Greek artists to challenge existing narratives and scrutinise the modern apparatus. Exhibitions range from Virtual Reality installations and video screenings to more traditional mediums. The work exhibited is well chosen and consistently engaging. A must-visit in Athens.
A post shared by State Of Concept (@stateofconcept) on Mar 10, 2018 at 4:20am PST
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Established in Geneva in 1983 by Dakis Joannou, DESTE Foundation for Contemporary Art is a not-for-profit space now based in the Athenian suburbs. The influential art collector’s initiative moved between venues until 1996 where it settled in Neo Psychico, re-designed by American architect Christian Huber. The space has exhibited hugely influential artists and also champions emerging Greek creative talent. Now working with the Museum of Cycladic Art and the Benaki Museum in Athens, DETSE continues to stage a dynamic international programme.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.