Striking white churches as smooth-edged as igloos, boxy villages tumbling down to sheltered bays – Sifnos has the same world-famous architecture as moneyed Greek islands Santorini and Mykonos, but set against a quiet wilderness of mossy rock and spring wildflowers. Capital Apollonia is a hotchpotch of blue domes, vine-draped patios and cutesy buildings too picturesque, surely, to be a post office or pharmacy. Sandy beaches such as Vathi or Chrissopigi are only a 15- or 20-minute drive across the island. So where best to lay your head? Try one of the best hotels on Sifnos for every traveler, bookable now with Culture Trip.
With stunning views across the bay of Platys Gialos on the south coast, Venikouas does laid-back living like few others on the island. Couples will love its romantic balconies and swirly wrought-iron bedsteads; and the walk down paved steps towards the broad curve of sandy beach will best suit the young and sprightly. With just 14 rooms, there’s an intimate, exclusive feel, and every space is designed to tilt you towards that view.
It’s all about the secluded sea and village views at this collection of simple apartments in the northern fishing village of Cherronisos. Large balconies have cushioned benches and tables for two, anticipating your need to sit and bliss out on the outlook over neat Cycladic houses trimming a quiet fishing harbour. Spick-and-span twin beds and a relaxed patio terrace continue the romantic simplicity. Get to that balcony in time for sunset – the glowing lowering skies from here are astonishing.
Sandy-beachy Kamares, with its craggy backdrop and friendly tavernas, provides the backdrop for this fashionable stay, designed to a chic palette of periwinkle blue, stone, grey and unvarnished pine. There’s no pool, but the beach is a 10-minute walk away, and a sultry, lantern-lit terrace has comfy seating and mini olive trees. A cavernous, reasonably priced spa employs local thyme, lavender and seashells in treatments that leave you fully charged with island serenity.
Built around an enchanting 18th-century Cycladic windmill – its sole two-bedroom apartment is built inside the tower – this boutique hotel is a sight in itself in east-coast Artemonas. Rooms are simple and chic, with crisp white bedding and cool toffee-coloured floor tiles; outside is a large pool and sun terrace overlooking the undulating coastline below. It’s a short walk to the village of Artemonas for a handful of tavernas and cafes, or a short hike to the rugged, clear-watered cove at Poulati, with its blue-domed church.
Surrounded by pretty gardens, this boxy white house with its tiny turrets is an atmospheric rental (sleeping four) just outside the main town Apollonia. With two terraces overlooking the rural tranquility, and speckles of white Cycladic houses all around, it has a rustic, whitewashed interior with simple wooden furniture and prim, lace curtains. There’s a tranquil, remote feel, but you’re only a short walk from banks, restaurants and grocery stores in Apollonia.
This elegant boutique hotel is located in relaxed Platis Gialos, with its lovely sands. It has a vine-strung terrace, lush gardens and traditional-feel rooms. Stone sinks painted with floral motifs and antique dark-wood furniture lend a luxurious edge to the simple whitewashed building; lovely stone balconies and terraces give rural and sea views, and it’s a 20-minute stroll to the beach. Fancy exploring? The owners can even arrange your car rental.
This stylish hideaway does back-to-basics with a sprinkling of interior – and architectural – magic. Chic cream-and-camel rooms defer to the brilliance of the shimmering sea view (you’re high above the coastline around scenic Kastro) and hands-on staff can organise anything from yoga sessions and massages to horse-riding jaunts. The sea-view pool, with its spacious stone terrace, is the real show-stopper.
Make the most of your time in Sifnos with the best things to see and do on the island. But to really get the best out of the Cyclades, why not island hop? I mean, there are 220 islands after all. Opt for style with a stay on Santorini; book one of the many boutique hotels with Culture Trip, and don’t leave until you’ve seen the best towns and villages on the luxury Greek island. Alternatively, choose Folegandros and book a stunning hotel with Culture Trip, before heading to one of the best bars to enjoy the sunset.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.