Every year, thousands of people flock to Greece, eager to enjoy some well-needed sea fun or maybe to dig into the nation’s rich past and culture. But a majority of these visitors head straight to the islands, leaving behind a wealth of treasures on the mainland. Here are a few reasons why you should give the mainland a chance over the islands.
While the islands are known around the world for their stunning beaches and exotic charm, the same can be said about the mainland. Greece’s extensive coastline boasts stunning beaches and coves just like the islands. Across the mainland, you’ll also find high mountains ideal for trekking adventures, verdant valleys and a collection of cities and towns waiting to show you their best secrets.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The wild and rugged Epirus, the age-old Peloponnese, the fertile valleys of Thessaly, the history-laden villages of Macedonia, the natural paradise of Pelion or the idyllic shores of Halkidiki are only a few locations you will find in mainland Greece. Each region on the mainland has its own authentic style, and it would take days, if not weeks, to explore them thoroughly. However, you will fall in love with them at first sight.
From Frankish enclaves to Macedonian towns, Venetian fortresses and Ottoman mosques, without forgetting to mention Byzantine churches, the rich, diverse history on the mainland will enthrall you. The century-old villages of Zagori will seduce you with their austere charm balanced with the luxuriant greenery surrounding them, while the well-preserved Roman and Ottoman architecture of Thessaloniki combined with the Byzantine vestiges in Greece’s second city will take you to a distant past.
A wealth of possibilities
Maybe you are looking for an urban escape or a quiet getaway in the wild. Or perhaps you want to simply relax on a beach, complete with a refreshing drink in hand. Or maybe you just want to explore ancient sites before rafting your way down one of the strongest streams. Well, you may be surprised to learn that you can have it all on the mainland. For example, party like a king at a beach bar in Halkidiki, or trek your way through the mythical kingdom of centaurs in Pelion. There is so much more to the mainland than you know.
The most epic road trip itineraries
There is something magical about road trips, don’t you think? Well, why not include it in your holidays in Greece? Whether you opt for a five-day or 15-day itinerary along the mainland, you can have an exhilarating experience roaming the roads of Greece. Take a tour of the wineries of Nemea, and admire the stone houses of Mani. Then head straight to the ancient site of Olympia before crossing over to central Greece to take in the grandeur of Meteora on your way to Vergina, home of the Macedonian Kings, before reaching Thessaloniki, where you can visit ancient sites and party your heart out.
Incredibly delicious cuisine
Finally, a trip to mainland Greece is a perfect excuse to taste the local culinary culture. While Greece may not be the first wine country to come to mind, its variety of landscapes and its century-old wine-making tradition makes it an ideal place to discover local labels in Northern Greece. Also, you will certainly enjoy delicious locally produced olive oil and fresh olives in Messinia. You can learn how feta cheese is produced or simply join in on a local feast in Thessaly to sample delicacies as well.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.