Whether it’s the art-filled streets of ultra-hip Kreuzberg or the historical and elegant Charlottenburg – discover our insider’s guide to the best places to stay in Berlin to experience the city like a local, bookable with Culture Trip.
Composer Franz Von Suppé famously said: “You are crazy my child. You must go to Berlin.” So, why stay in a same-same hotel chain when you could be immersing yourself in the quirky, artful, design-driven, slightly mad, creative and open-minded German capital like a true local? Get into the headspace of the most dynamic of urban playgrounds by diving into some of the most colourful, idiosyncratic, welcoming and down-right decadent digs laid on by one of the best cities in the world.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Set in the old literary district of Charlottenburg, luxurious furnishings meet high design in this smartly besuited hotel, ideal for a romantic Berlin break (yes, Berlin can be romantic) thanks to mood-setting Marshall speakers, tactile velvet touches and come-hither beds in the rooms. There’s a sense of the classical meeting the modern here, and the sumptuous theme continues in the public spaces, too. It’s also close to the Berlin Zoo and within walking distance of wonderful fusion food at the Blend, plus the hotel has a curated programme of specialist tours – including a beard-stroking brewery escapade through crafty Neukölln.
There’s a sense of timeless elegance in these high-end apartments, designed by Berlin-based interiors pro Sandra Pauquet and on-the-mark architect Kim Wang. Gründerzeit (wealthy 19th-century style) meets modern Berlin in accommodation that will have you toying with whether to even bother exploring the city at all – or just stay put, in your home away from home. In Mitte, you’re surrounded by restaurants and bars, but you also have a fully stocked kitchen, just in case you do choose to stay in.
There’s an in-house bakery. Oh, you want to know more? Well, straddling the districts of Wilmersdorf and Charlottenburg, the decor in the hotel is an endearing mix of quirky and luxurious, and the aforementioned bakery also serves excellent coffee and an all-day breakfast, too. You’re surrounded by historical monuments, theatre, music and art, and within stumbling distance of legendary Bowie hangout, the Paris Bar, where he and Iggy Pop visited during their 1970s sojourn in Berlin.
Hotel, hostel and apartments – this place has every level of Berlin base covered, from budget right up to luxury. The range of rooms, from classic singles to junior suites and apartments, promise to make your stay as comfy as possible with melt-into mattresses that will have you wanting to join the Circus permanently. Elsewhere, there’s modern German food in the ostPost restaurant-cum-library, a (sometimes) sunny roof terrace and an in-house microbrewery that hosts live music, karaoke and more.
In the buzzing district of Friedrichshain, this boutique hotel is infused with the Berlin spirit of artistic collaboration and offers rooms to suit all tastes – from the solo luxury traveller and couples who crave having a sauna in their room, to families seeking sizeable lofts that mix playground and bedroom in a surprisingly successful way. With a popular bar and courtyard that hosts events, you’re also only a 10-minute walk from the infamous Berghain club and just over the bridge from Watergate.
Just down the road from Konstanzer Strasse U-Bahn – worth catching a train from for the retro-tiled platforms alone – this is one for all the lovers out there. Rooms give off an air of old Weimar decadence with sultry lighting and rich colours that will make you want to sling the Do Not Disturb sign over the doorknob – or end your night in the famously naughty KitKat Club. The Chinese-influenced restaurant and excellent bar draw the local crowds, too, so make time to mingle like a true Berliner.
Monkey bottoms. You don’t expect that to be a selling point of a hotel. But where else in the world could you wake up and a few moments later be on a terrace gazing out at a baboon’s behind from Berlin Zoo? At 25hours, that’s where. Home to one of the best (and most popular) rooftop bars in Berlin, this hotel is all about the high-end quirk, with jungle-themed rooms, a free minibar and even free Mini cars for taking in the city, too.
Looking for more great Berlin hotels? Discover our guide to the best cheap places to stay in Berlin, bookable with Culture Trip.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.