With historical landmarks, museums and shopping galore, Mitte is one of Berlin’s most popular neighbourhoods among visitors, so you might expect to find tourist-trap bars. However, Mitte has a reputation for some of the most characterful watering holes in the entire city – you just have to know where to look.
Visitors to Berlin will no doubt find themselves in Mitte. While the area has traditionally been a daytime destination – with tourists keen to check out attractions including Museum Island and the Brandenburg Gate before heading over to the vibrant neighbourhoods of Kreuzberg or Neukölln – a growing selection of bars are bolstering Mitte as a place to stay after the sun sets. There’s no need to head east after dark – Mitte’s best bars include stylish speakeasies, elegant wine bars and atmospheric beer lounges.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Bar Saint Jean
Bar Saint Jean is among Berlin’s best LGBTQ-friendly bars, inclusive and welcoming to everyone who steps through its door. The bar itself is striking – a minimalist wooden art piece where chic patrons stand to order classic and innovative cocktails. It’s not big, but Bar Saint Jean’s charm is in its Gallic vibe. Low lighting, electro music and an elegant crowd make it comparable to a bar in Paris’s posh Saint-Germain-des-Prés neighbourhood. If you’re sensitive to cigarette smoke, visit any night it’s open except for Fridays when the bar allows smoking.
Beneath the arches of Berlin’s Friedrichstraße railway station is an unmarked door, and if you knock on it, you may get to enter Bar Tausend – the bouncer ultimately decides. A stylish Roaring Twenties-style speakeasy, the bar features a large dance floor that shakes whenever a train runs overhead – a unique experience while flexing your moves – and the bar offers a creative menu that takes inspiration from neighbourhoods from around the world. The bar is popular with theatregoers and makes for a unique and elegant experience that will have you returning to visit its restaurant, Cantina Tausend, and listen to live DJ sets.
Neue Odessa Bar
Not many places exemplify the trendy Berlin-Mitte bar experience like Neue Odessa. It’s a place where both tourists and residents revel in the top-notch craft cocktails and romantic decor – beginning with the sparkling canopy at the entrance. With its extravagant flower arrangements, rich yet relaxing colour scheme and maximalist bar area, Neue Odessa contrasts with the edgier party spots out east. It’s another venue popular with the creative types.
Off a graffiti-filled alleyway beside the iconic Hackescher Markt is one of Mitte’s most beloved, if unpolished, bars. Café Cinema is an atmospheric spot for a beer or three, with dim lighting provided by wax candles – even in the middle of summer – and vintage trinkets adorning the interior. The crowd is arty, with a healthy number of tourists adding an international vibe, while the atmosphere is unpretentious and fun. No craft beers or special cocktails are on the menu, just basic Bavarian brews – and it is strictly cash only.
Wine bars are popular in Berlin, and Mitte has its fair share. While it’s no longer just a wine bar, CORDO is the epitome of cool. By night, this cosy restaurant-bar is dimly lit and features wood tables with chairs or banquette seating and art decorating the walls. But it isn’t just aesthetically pleasing; CORDO has substance. You can find a carefully curated list of wines you won’t find elsewhere in Berlin and three multi-course menus. If you’re looking to extend your wine adventures in Mitte, Weinerei near Prenzlauer Berg is another excellent choice.
Known as a key meeting place for Mitte’s arty crowd, Bar 3 is somewhere between a friendly dive bar and a trendy lounge. Fittingly for this clientele, the space looks like an art venue from the outside; inside, the horseshoe-shaped bar dominates the sparsely decorated room, which offers bar-stool seating. The drinks menu features wine, whiskey, cognac, or Kölsch beer from Cologne, which comes in a tiny glass, per tradition.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.