Friedrichshain is undoubtedly one of Berlin’s most vibrant neighbourhoods. The former East Berlin district marries historical significance with creativity and an alternative vibe, which is reflected in its best bars.
From hanging out in the neighbourhood’s stunning parks to hunting for bargains at Ostbahnhof’s Sunday market, there is no shortage of things to do in Friedrichshain. Beyond dancing to techno at Berghain, Friedrichshain offers a wide variety of nightlife options, with visitors spoilt for choice when it comes to drinking spots – charming courtyards, microbreweries and Budapest-inspired ‘ruin bars’ await.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
As well as being one of the city’s best boutique hotels, the Michelberger is also home to one of Friedrichshain’s most charming bars. With quirky decor – think exposed concrete and overhanging lamps made out of book pages – and a menu of natural wines, local beers and small-batch spirits (along with plentiful bar snacks), the hotel’s bar draws a young, arty crowd. DJs play throughout the weekend, while the spacious outdoor courtyard – decked out with fairy lights – sees the Michelberger come alive in the summer months.
With Szimpla, you get two bars for the price of one. Taking its name from Budapest’s most famous ruin bar (an abandoned industrial space-turned-hipster bar), Szimpla’s decor hints at its Hungarian theme. Hungarian phrases adorn the walls, and you’ll spot the odd bottle of Unicum, a Hungarian herbal liqueur. Sitting among its mismatched vintage furniture, you can sip on Hungarian wine, cocktails or German pilsners. If you move next door, you’ll be transported to the bright lights of Labor, which specialises in Hungarian microbrewery Mad Scientist’s inventive craft beers. The whole space features a laboratory theme, with white walls, drinks that come in Erlenmeyer flasks, and a menu set out like the periodic table of elements. The beers here are pretty experimental when it comes to flavours; expect to find exotic fruit beers as well as tequila-infused brews.
Located slightly away from Friedrichshain’s main drinking spots, Bar BoBu feels very local. Its unassuming entrance on a quiet residential street near Frankfurter Allee leads to a dimly lit, atmospheric bar, whose decor can only be described as East Berlin meets New York dive bar. Visit when its house band is playing to really feel like you’ve stepped back in time, or check out the bar’s packed events schedule – from jazz concerts to English comedy nights. Hungry? Look no further than neighbouring restaurant Butterhandlung, which serves up inventive European dishes.
Fitcher’s Vogel lies on Warschauer Straße – a short walk away from Frankfurter Tor U-Bahn station. A good place for a few civilised drinks before a less civilised night of debauchery, this smoky bar features mismatched furniture and candlelight, giving it a homely feel, while its drink selection has very reasonably priced wines, beers and cocktails. While one could easily spend the whole night here, you can head down the road to offbeat cultural centre RAW, which is home to notorious clubs such as Cassiopeia, to ramp the evening up a level.
After a long winter of sub-zero temperatures, there’s nothing Berliners love more than taking to the streets and parks with a beer in hand. To combine a bar atmosphere with the great outdoors, look no further than Holzmarkt. Located on the banks of the Spree River, this outdoor bar and beer garden is the place to be in Friedrichshain when the sun shines. Juval Dieziger and Christoph Klenzendorf, who previously ran the renowned club Bar25 (now closed), started the project. Their aim is to create a new urban village – a hang-out spot that is open to all. If the huge mix of people who visit here is anything to go by, the project has been a success. Along with the buzzing bar area, there are shops and a variety of food options on offer, including delectable baked goods at SK Patisserie and the locally sourced menu at Katerschmaus restaurant.
If you’re looking for some of Berlin’s best cocktails in stylish surrounds, Chapel delivers. With a living room-esque interior, Chapel manages to remain unpretentious while serving up some of the most Instagrammable drinks in Friedrichshain – both classic concoctions and the bar’s signature drinks, including the unusual Bacon Cheesecake cocktail. Situated on the main road en route to the Ostkreuz station, Chapel is in easy reach of great restaurants to head to before or after your cocktail. Give Transit a try if you’re in the mood for pan-Asian small plates or BBB Burger for some of the fanciest burgers in town.
This article is an updated version of a story created by Lily Cichanowicz.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.