When it comes to places to eat, Berlin has it all, and to the relief of anyone travelling on a budget, eating well in the German capital doesn’t need to cost the earth.
A vibrant and cosmopolitan city, Berlin is packed with food options as diverse as its population. From vegan bites to Italian, Indian and Middle Eastern cuisine, the German capital’s restaurants will fulfil any craving.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The team at Cadadia are passionate about making the most delectable, healthy soups possible: enjoy a hearty potato soup with croutons in winter or a lighter white asparagus soup in spring. Every week sees new soup recipes on the menu, along with salads, snacks and sweets. The flavour combinations cater to a number of special diets, with plentiful gluten-free, vegan and vegetarian options on offer, and the menu – based on seasonal ingredients – takes inspiration from traditional dishes and international cuisines. All soups cost less than €5, and the quiches and salads less than €6. Cadadia is set in Berlinz’s Schöneberg district, an area that is known for its shopping, especially the labyrinthine Kaufhaus des Westens department store. Stop by Cadadia for some mid-shopping sustenance or before a visit to the nearby zoo, aquarium or Tiergarten park.
Set just off Friedrichstraße, Flamingo is known for its freshly prepared, locally sourced food. It serves great coffee and sweets alongside the flavoursome savoury creations, and the meals and snacks on offer here are nearly all organic. The soups and main courses change daily, while there are always at least 12 delicious sandwich combinations available – try out the moreish roast beef and cheddar sandwich with honey and wasabi cream. Prices range from roughly €6 to €10 for a thoroughly satisfying meal. If you’re in the mood for lunch al fresco, take your sandwich to go and pick up a bike from nearby rental company Take a Bike to cycle the short distance to Tiergarten.
A laid-back atmosphere, great coffee, fine wine and friendly staff: m|a – feine Kost is a prime place to refuel after a walk through Tempelhofer Feld. The classic Italian lasagne is rich and made to a traditional family recipe, while the seasonal risotto and the French savoury tarts – all priced at under €8 – are ever-changing in terms of ingredients, but always a pleasure to eat. The café also imports French and Italian products, which it sells in its deli section, along with fresh bread – all the ingredients for the perfect picnic at Tempelhofer Feld.
La Bolognina serves uncomplicated, inexpensive food that is lovingly prepared by hand. Pasta, piadina and wine form the core of the menu, while the daily specials often include innovative salads. Although the vegetarian piadinas start at just €4, for a more filling pasta dish you can expect to pay roughly €6-€8. The atmosphere is relaxed and there’s a real focus on the quality of the products and the beauty of Italian food. With its location in the heart of hip, vibrant Neukölln, La Bolognina is a great place to start a night out. Follow your dinner with drinks at Nathanja & Heinrich or jazz at Donau115.
In 2013, Matthew Minch dreamed of “bestowing the gift of the almighty pie on the German people”. And thank goodness he did – his creation, helloGoodPie, has become a firm favourite among Kreuzberg’s hipster crowd. There are sweet pies, meat pies and vegetarian pies that change with the seasons; recent recipes have included the Popeye (spinach, feta and walnuts), the Juan Carlos (pulled pork with smoked paprika and red pepper) and a lemon meringue pie. Far from breaking the bank, a meal here usually comes in at under €10. Head to helloGoodPie after an invigorating swim at the Badeschiff, Berlin’s floating public pool on the River Spree.
Momos specialises in organic vegetarian and vegan dumplings, and the focus is on quality and environmental sustainability. There is much to admire about the philosophy and the food – everything, down to the sauces, is completely home-made. The lunch special costs €7.90 for 14 pieces, enough to satisfy a very healthy appetite; or there’s a snack portion of eight dumplings plus a side dish for around €9.50. Combine lunch here with a visit to the Museum für Naturkunde (Natural History Museum) up the road. For after-dinner shisha and cocktails, visit the Kleopatra Shisha Bar on the next corner.
Sadhu 2 is the kind of place that puts a smile on your face. Serving up an extensive menu of Pakistani and Indian cuisine, this relaxed restaurant has colourful decor, welcoming staff and wallet-friendly prices. Start off with the mixed vegetable pakora plate before trying the ever-popular butter chicken and garlic or peshwari naan, washed down with a sweet mango lassi. Vegetarian options are also plentiful; the paneer jalfrezi is a runaway hit. On summer evenings, customers can sit under the awning at Sadhu 2’s pavement tables. For the perfect evening out, combine dinner here with a screening at the open-air cinema in Hasenheide park, just a 10-minute walk away.
Looking for a good breakfast in Kreuzberg? Le Bon’s menu is full of mouthwatering options. Whether it’s the signature shakshuka, Italian scramble or toasted banana bread, you can expect to enjoy a great gastronomic start to the morning for under €10. Start off with a coffee or freshly squeezed juice to accompany your meal, before moving on to a breakfast martini or a Cold Fashioned coffee cocktail. Although Le Bon is primarily a player on the Berlin brunch scene, the eatery offers a changing menu of lunch and dinner dishes, too. Any history buffs, or those simply wanting to try out the catchy combination of ‘brunch and bunkers’, can pay a visit to the Fichtebunker, a gasometer turned World War II air-raid shelter that is now open for tours.
This article is an updated version of a story created by Lily Cichanowicz.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.