Hamburg’s vast green spaces, predominantly flat terrain, and well-developed cycling infrastructure makes it a perfect city to explore by bike. Join a guided bicycle tour or, better yet, rent a bicycle and discover the city by yourself. For example, pick up a red StadtRAD city bike from one of the over 200 stations across the city, the first half an hour is free.
Around Lake Alster
One of the easiest and most beautiful cycling routes lies in the very heart of the city. The bicycle paths along Lake Alster are perfect for a leisurely cruise from City Hall, around the large lake and back, and will take less than an hour. Enjoy the waterside green areas, views of the sailing boats on the lake and the lavish mansions on its shore. Make a stop on the Krugkoppelbrücke and the Feenteichbrücke to make splendid photos or have a coffee in one of the picturesque lakeside cafes.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Riverside and park cemetery
Instead of cycling around the lake, you can turn left once you have crossed the aforementioned Krugkoppelbrücke and head north. Keep the Alster to your left and enjoy the peaceful streets of the city’s affluent and green residential neighbourhoods of Winterhude and Alsterdorf. The Alster will lead you to Friedhof Ohlsdorf, the largest park cemetery in the world. The cemetery’s pathways stretch over 17km (11 mi.) and welcome cyclists to revel in its tranquil scenery adorned by beautiful sculptures, trees, and waterways.
Harbour and HafenCity
Likely, there is no better way of capturing the essence of Hamburg than a round-trip to see the harbour—the true heart of the city—and the demonstration of the wealth that it brings. Start at Landungsbrücken and descend into the Old Elbe Tunnel to cross to the other side of the river. Enjoy the gorgeous views across the water from the viewing point, then follow the Reiherdamm and Veddeler Damm until you circle back north into the HafenCity. Admire the best that modern architecture has to offer alongside the historic Speicherstadt district, Hamburg’s UNESCO heritage site.
Along the Elbe river
Also the shore of the River Elbe is ideal for cycling and the length of the trip is easily adaptable. Again, start from the harbour at Landungsbrücken and head towards the famous Fischmarkt, then continue cycling alongside historic residential buildings and brand new office buildings, to the museum harbour at Övelgonne. Make a stop here to enjoy a coffee and an ice cream on the sandy Elbe beach. Then follow the riverside promenade that starts on the other side of the beach towards the charming Blankenese to see Hamburg’s ‘Mediterranean’ side.
The Wilhelmsburg island
Take the metro to Veddel to explore Hamburg’s up-and-coming district of Wilhelmsburg. Once an industrial and relatively poor area, over the last decade it’s emerging as one of the city’s trendiest neighbourhoods. From the station simply follow the clearly marked LOOP—the city’s modern cycling path developed specially for the International Building Exhibition that was hosted here in 2013. Explore Hamburg’s urban side, check out the grounds of the hip Dockland festival and enjoy the extensive island park, a unique green oasis created for the International Garden Show.
The city parks
Hamburg is one of the greenest cities in Europe and its parks are ideal for a leisurely round-trip by bicycle. Start at the Altona metro station, head towards the Altonaer Rathaus and turn right into the Elbchaussee. From here on you’ll be surrounded by splendid city villas, views across the river beneath and numerous picturesque parks. Turn into the Jenischpark, one of Hamburg’s oldest and most beautiful parks, then continue to the Loki Schmidt Garden, the gorgeous and diverse new botanical garden, then hop back on the S-bahn to return to the city.
There is no better escape of the bustling city than a bicycle tour of the Altes Land, Germany’s largest orchard in the floodplains of the River Elbe. Hop on the harbour ferry at Landungsbrücken and cross over to Finkenwerder. From here on you’ll be surrounded by fruit gardens, waterways and wind mills reminiscent of Holland, beautiful old farmhouses and idyllic small towns. Cycle along the dykes to Jork, the heart of the region, then continue along the water to Stade from where the metro will take you back to the city.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.