From the splendid red brick warehouses of the Speicherstadt to the modern architecture masterpieces of the HafenCity, past and present meet in this unique neighborhood of Hamburg. Culture Trip has rounded up the best things to see and do to make the most of your experience.
Admire the architecture
The 19th-century Speicherstadt is the largest congruent warehouse district in the world and part of UNESCO World Heritage. In turn, the brand new HafenCity is the largest inner-city development project in Europe. Here the historic meets modern, as headquarters of international conglomerates exist side-by-side with exciting new startups, and the rich reside next to students. While admiring the beautiful buildings, pay attention to a particular detail: as the district is outside of the city’s flood walls, the bottom 7.6 meters (25 feet) of every structure are waterproof.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Wander along the waterways
Standing on sturdy oak log foundations, the Speicherstadt warehouses are crossed by narrow canals, once used to deliver, load, and unload precious goods by ship or barge. The numerous bridges that cross the canals offer picturesque views of the rows of Neo-Gothic brick buildings. Further into the HafenCity, several small ports – Sandtorhafen, Grasbrookhafen and Brooktorhafen – invite visitors to admire ships and enjoy views across the water. There is no area in the city that is more defined and adorned by water than this neighborhood.
Visit a great museum
The Speicherstadt and the HafenCity are home to some of Hamburg’s best museums. See the spectacular Miniatur Wunderland, the world’s largest miniature railway, and Spicy’s, exhibiting more than 900 spices from around the world. Explore customs history since the Roman Empire at the Deutsches Zollmuseum, or 3,000 years of seafaring adventures at the International Maritime Museum. Experience the world from a blind or a deaf person’s perspective at the acclaimed Dialog im Dunkeln and Dialog im Stillen, and immerse yourself in the bizarre and eclectic collection of seaman’s treasures at the Harrys Hafenbasar & Museum.
Indulge your taste buds
What better place to sample the precious colonial goods – coffee and tea – than among the warehouses that still store and trade them. The Speicherstadt Kaffeerösterei roasts and serves some of the best coffee in the city, while the Teekontor Wasserschloss and Meßmer Momentum specialize in brewing a perfect cup of tea. Small snacks can be enjoyed in the numerous bakeries as well as the cafés of the north German Campus Suite chain. And gourmets will relish the district’s excellent restaurants like VLET, Coast by East, CARLS and Wandrahm.
Discover the Elbphilharmonie
A tour of this neighborhood would not be complete without visiting the grand Elbphilharmonie – Hamburg’s newest landmark. The spectacular concert hall, designed by Herzog & de Meuron, sits on top of Kaispeicher, which was once the city’s biggest warehouse. The heart of the building is the vineyard-style Great Hall that seats over 2,000 people and provides unmatched acoustics. The concert tickets have been booked out for the year but everyone is welcome to visit the beautiful Plaza and enjoy panoramic views across the city and the harbor.
Over the last few years the HafenCity has been discovered by artists, designers and galleries. The area along the Sandtorpark is home to several excellent contemporary art galleries. The Galerie Hafenliebe hosts a permanent exhibition of Zimbabwean sculptures as well as changing art exhibitions. Gregs Gallery and Metropolitan Gallery invite visitors to experience international and local art and artists up close. Across the canal, the iF Design Exhibition features award-winning and innovative design from across the globe.
Have a great night out
The HafenCity district is also Hamburg’s up-and-coming nightlife location. In particular the Oberhafen area, once a warehouse and freight depot, is developing into a hot-spot for young artists and various creative projects. One of the city’s newest top clubs is the Moloch, especially popular among the hip millennial party crowd. Another public favorite in the district is the Club 20457 – a unique meeting point of art, literature, and live music.
Take plenty of photos
It’s almost impossible to put away the camera (or smartphone) when encountering gorgeous views wherever you look. But there are some locations in the Speicherstadt and the HafenCity that deliver unparalleled images. Iconic Speicherstadt photos can be taken from the Poggenmühlen-Brücke, particularly during the blue hour. Also a walk over the multi-level connected bridges of Kibbelsteg offers great vantage points. Beautiful photos of historic ships with modern buildings in the backdrop can be taken from the Magellan terraces. And for the best panoramic views climb the Elbphilharmonie Plaza and the HafenCity Viewpoint.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.