Berlin seems to have bypassed spring altogether, going from desperately cold to hot (with a few random chilly days again) in the flip of a switch. With the sun shining on Germany‘s capital, and the trees lush and green, Berlin’s time is now. Here are some of the best things the city has to offer when the sun is out in the summer season.
A lazy day at the lake
Berlin is surrounded by lakes, a fact that’s a saving grace to its central European and landlocked status. There are a lot of people in this city, and they haven’t seen the sun in a while, so don’t expect to have the lake to yourself. The closet lake to the city centre is Karpfenteich located in Treptower Park, but it’s not the most inviting – travel further out to the more idyllic Müggelsee or Krumme Lanke and you’ll be rewarded with clean water perfect for a dip.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Annual celebrations and public holidays
Some of Berlin’s biggest celebrations take place during the madness of the summer months, and public holidays in the city have become synonymous with free street festivals. The whole city descends into festivity with events like Christopher Street Day, Berlin’s gay pride celebration, happening this year on July 22, and Fête De La Musique, which takes place all around the city on June 21. We’re also looking forward to the annual Botanical Night at Berlin’s Botanical Gardens, where the gardens will be magically illuminated and an epic fireworks display on July 22, as well as the annual open air Citadel Music Festival in Spandau taking place throughout the summer months of June, July and August.
Get grooving at an open-air party
Tis’ the season of open-airs in Berlin, when organisers take the party out of the dark clubs and into the sunlight, and multiple celebrations happen every weekend for the duration of summer. Many are free, taking place on a pavement or random patch of grass in the city, others are more underground and require entry.
Picnic in the park
Parks become Berlin’s playgrounds in summer. Head to Gorli, Treptower, Viktoria Park, Templehof or even outside one of the city’s big landmarks in summer with a picnic of treats and enjoy taking in the sun, good vibes and talent. Parks are also great places to meet people if you’re new to Berlin or travelling alone. for If you’d rather not prepare your own foodie feast, summer also ushers in a new season of the extremely popular Thai Park, where Thai women set up kitchen in a park in Wilmersdorf to sell yummy, authentic Thai street food.
Sail the Spree
In the summer heat, the beloved underground is relegated to the least favourite mode of transport in Berlin. Biking and riding a scooter become essential, while cruising the Spree becomes a pleasurable and sought after past time. Get your hands on a blow-up paddle boat, rent your own for a few hours or sign up for a river cruise on a bigger boat.
Beers on a bridge
Summer in Berlin is characterised by magical long days, epic sunsets, and the reawakening of street life which returns with new force each year as winters’ survivors take to the streets. During the magical hours of the day, just before sunset, grab a beer from a Späti and head to one of Berlin’s many bridges to watch the sunset and commune with your fellow beings. Any one of the bridges over the Landwehrkanal in Kreuzeburg, or Schillingbrucke and Oberbaumbrücke crossing into Friedrichshain are good places to go.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.