Germany’s celebrated port city of Hamburg derives its wilful, irrepressible character from its maritime setting and history. Wander the city streets and you can’t fail to absorb it, from the historic harbourfront to the network of canals and the lively Fischmarkt in the borough of Altona. There’s a huge range of places to stay at notably affordable prices, so check in to a room at one of Hamburg’s finest hostels – which you can now book with Culture Trip.
Here’s a friendly, family-run hotel with pedigree – it dates from 1961 – offering a range of sound-proofed rooms. Despite shared bathrooms, it’s more discreet than a lot of the competition in this non-stop city, guaranteeing privacy, peace and quiet. Wake each morning to breakfast in the newly renovated breakfast room, with its large sun terrace for the warmer months. The hostel has its own car park – free for guests – secure parking for bikes and motorbikes, and, within 15 minutes’ walk, a tram stop for trips to the centre.
Close to Hamburg central station, MAC City Hostel is ideal for budget-conscious travellers who want to explore the city and have good transport links. Rooms are clean and basic, with shared bathrooms and luggage storage. Make the most of the free snacks, drinks and wifi in the communal lounge, and consider bike rental organised by the hostel – it’s a quick and easy way to get around the city. If you’re looking for a cosy night in, there are board games and puzzles.
Hostels can be effortlessly cool, and Cab 20 is the proof – an essay in natural materials that make the place feel warm and inviting. It can also lay claim to being Germany’s first cabin hostel – all the rooms are in private cabins. Each of these has a queen-size bed, free wifi and wireless charging stations. They’ve also thoughtfully added built-in Bluetooth speakers and storage systems that’ll swallow up your luggage, so you’ve got plenty of room.
With its setting beside one of the city’s historic canals, Innside Hamburg Hafen is a funky, fun place to base yourself for a weekend. There’s plenty of light pouring through large windows, and graffiti-inspired murals throughout add pops of colour and character. If you fancy lazing over a drink, there’s a sun terrace overlooking the canal where you might also like a bite to eat. When not out on the town, make the most of your down time – there’s board-game rental, a monthly “sofa concert” and a Finnish sauna to soothe post-party limbs.
Glossy and sophisticated but also family-friendly, the Scandic Hamburg Emporio has memorably cool rooms with statement art and floor-to-ceiling windows overlooking the city. If travelling with children, book the Superior Family room, which includes a pull-out sofa bed for the young ones. The on-site restaurant has a kids’ menu, and is open for lunch and dinner. When looking after little ones has exhausted you, head off for some relaxing “you” time – the hotel has not one, but two saunas.
What’s in a name? In this case, one of Hamburg’s main exports: beer. The Niu Keg recalls an age when more than 400 breweries operated in the city. Throughout the hostel, you’ll stumble upon references to Germany’s best-known beverage, ranging from stylised barrel patterns on the floors to circular barrel shelves on the walls. Rooms fall into three sizes: the Tripster, the Townster and the Hipster – the largest of the three. This includes a double bed and seating area with a pull-out sofa, finished with fun, nautical-style design details.
This is an updated version of an article originally by Anwesha Ray.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Looking for more wallet-friendly stays? Read our guide to the best budget hotels in the city. If you want to loosen the purse strings a bit, book one of the best hotels in Hamburg, and check out our guide to the top boutique accommodation in the city. If you really want to treat yourself, check into one of the best luxury hotels or boutique hotels, bookable on Culture Trip. Read on to find out how to spend a weekend in Hamburg, and head to the coolest neighbourhoods in town.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.