From quirky independent boutiques to global brand big hitters, these excellent lodgings across the diverse neighbourhoods of Hamburg provide great value for money – and they’re bookable on Culture Trip.
The principal port city in Germany has boat loads of maritime history and brilliant architecture and is buzzing with live music, museums and a vibrant, multicultural food scene. You needn’t break the bank to have a comfortable weekend here, either. These excellent hotels manage to be light on the wallet, while remaining well-stocked in the comfort stakes.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Completely renovated only a few years ago, the clean lines, bright spaces and beautifully finished rooms of the NH make it the ideal base for a Hamburg adventure. The cool bars, cafes, restaurants and shops of trendy Schanzenviertel are just a stone’s throw away, and you are only two U-Bahn stops to the Hamburg exhibition complex, three to the Gänsemarkt public square and four to the Jungfernstieg shopping promenade. Hamburg is a cycling city, so be sure to take advantage of the bike rentals at reception.
This ever-reliable and classy chain delivers another winner here. More traditionally furnished than its Mitte sister, the Horner Rennbahn NH is so close to the Horner Rennbahn racetrack you can almost hear the hay being chewed, let alone the thunder of hooves. Decide to go for a flutter and you’re well placed to splurge your winnings, as the hotel is just a 15-minute journey into the centre of the city, where a parade of bars will welcome you with open arms.
The rooms here are a delight and come equipped with a large king-size bed, flat-screen TV, safe and Nespresso coffee maker, as well as a mini fridge, high-speed wifi and an open bathroom with rain shower. A bright, modern restaurant area downstairs, a location close to the harbour and key sites such St Pauli, St Pauli Piers, the fish market, Jungfernstieg shopping promenade and the Elbphilharmonie concert hall make this a no-brainer for those looking to enjoy a high-spec stay without spending big bucks.
Just 15 minutes on the U-Bahn to the exhibition centre and the harbour, and eight minutes from the main train station, this highly rated economy offering – located in Wandsbek, a peaceful district of Hamburg – provides the ideal budget base to explore the harbour city. With clean, modern rooms offering all the usual facilities, the reliability of the brand will give you peace of mind, allowing you to concentrate on other things, such as gallivanting around this fantastic city.
Bright and stripped-back, but certainly not lacking that signature Hamburg design flair, this economy design hotel clocks up some major points for its attention to detail and relaxed atmosphere. With design by New York-based Karim Rashid, the space-age surroundings provide a unique and welcoming atmosphere. Positioned close to Hamburg’s main station, you are never far from things to do, and the buffet breakfast is extremely good value.
Pyjama Park describes itself as “a small boutique city hotel for business travellers, young design freaks and city-loving individualist”, so you may already have an idea of what to expect when you step through the doors of this eccentric hotel. Rooms (known as Parking Spaces here) are bright, tastefully furnished and individually decorated by a local urban artist. The excellent location means that the hippest quarter of Hamburg, with its countless shops, cafes and restaurants, is right on your doorstep – making it a perfect choice for a budget hotel in Hamburg.
Looking for more budget-friendly properties? Check out our guide to the best hostels in Hamburg, bookable on Culture Trip.
This is an updated version of an article originally by Ilze Ievina.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.