Cologne’s creative credentials draw a wide variety of travellers to this glittering Gothic city, which spans the Rhine but centres on its left bank. A wealth of significant museums and galleries – and one of Europe’s most-visited cathedrals – are only part of the story, with grassroots creatives continually refreshing the city’s cultural mix. In response, a panoply of hotels and hostels have sprung up to cater to a diverse range of temporary Cologne residents.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
There are 16 individually – and exuberantly – decorated rooms in this hostel, which aims for a shared apartment feel. Tongue-in-cheek (but surprisingly well-executed) decor themes range from outer space to Bollywood, and there’s an intimate live performance venue on site. Depending on the evening, international touring indie bands and poetry performances hold court.
This unpretentiously named hostel is a cheap yet cheerful accommodation option in a quiet corner of the Deutz area, right in the heart of Cologne. Rooms are in a dorm set-up with four or six beds, and the communal lounge and kitchen offer guests some space to make plans for the day while downing the free tea and coffee. Keyless entry 24 hours a day means that you can roll in as late as you like.
Pick from a mix of private rooms and a dorm room set-up at this solid hostel option on the outskirts of the city centre. Bring a padlock for the lockers to save yourself the deposit, but make use of the convenience of the towel rental, which is free if you stay three nights – because who wants to travel with wet towels? There’s a well-equipped kitchen, but for a surcharge, hostel guests can luxuriate in a big breakfast at the adjoining cafe.
The first thing you notice when stepping over the Circle’s threshold is its playful contemporary update of ’50s and ’60s-inspired decor. The youthfully stylish hotel, which is sure to lift even the most jaded of traveller’s spirits, has an in-house bar and restaurant that are genuinely popular with locals (always a good sign). All this serves as context to frame the panoramic views of Cologne, from within this 1950s rotunda building. Visitors to Berlin may be familiar with its sister establishment.
Park Plaza’s consistently successful art’otel brand has found a home in Cologne, with views of the Rhine and original artwork by Korean contemporary artist, SEO. An in-house restaurant and craft cocktail bar are worth staying in for, while a fitness centre and sauna complete your night in. If you can drag yourself outside, the old-school delights of the Old Town, from the Chocolate Museum to Cologne’s iconic cathedral, are just a short walk away.
The USP of this smart hotel is its good range of five room types, all at different price points. But its major appeal is the convenient location, in the vicinity of Rudolfplatz – Cologne’s prime shopping and restaurant area. A grown-up, pet-friendly establishment, Flandrischer Hof also offers add-ons such as laundry service and underground parking, in a functional yet warm atmosphere.
This thoughtfully styled, contemporary boutique hotel in Cologne’s Old Town comprises just six rooms. It’s consistently well-reviewed by guests, who love its proximity to the artfully stylish Belgian Quarter, buoyant atmosphere and carefully chosen furnishings and finishes. Hole up here and expect to be sharing the communal spaces with anyone from bloggers and digital nomads looking for a room to work in, to families with young children and travellers of all stripes.
The nine rooms of this affordable boutique hotel, in the heart of Cologne’s Old Town, pack enough of a punch to have propelled it into the upper reaches of user-generated review sites. Intriguingly, the hotel’s site actually lists some reasons not to stay with them – ever seen that before? Us neither – such as small room size and the lack of an on-site restaurant beyond the breakfast buffet. Somehow, it just makes this good-value Cologne accommodation option more tempting.
This Cologne-founded loft hotel concept, which pushes a buzzy, alternative lifestyle angle hard and fast, has already successfully expanded to Berlin. It serves up contemporary style and comfort to appeal to young professionals, but with a good range of rooms at varying price points. Bathrooms are stocked with sustainable toiletries, and there’s a destination restaurant and genuinely appealing co-working lobby space on site. Coffee is free, which is a nice touch.
For a bite to eat in Cologne, check out the city’s best breakfast and brunch options.
This is an updated rewrite of an article originally by Anwesha Ray.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.