When it comes to Cologne’s trendiest neighbourhoods, the Belgian Quarter immediately springs to mind. Food, fashion and art are the main focus of this creative hub. The essence of this beautiful district is best experienced over coffee or drinks, by browsing art galleries and boutiques, and by dancing the night away to funky DJ sets. Here’s an overview of the best things to do and see in Cologne’s Belgian Quarter.
Eat some Belgian food
Since it’s the Belgian Quarter, why not dive right in and get some Belgian food? Maria Eetcafé is a popular gathering place overlooking the plaza in front of the Köln West train station, and the cosy inside is decorated with a peculiar collection of Mary and baby Jesus figurines. On the menu are some of our all-time favourite Belgian and Dutch snacks: thick-cut fries with Fritessaus, Frikandel (minced-meat hot dogs), Kipcorn (crispy fried chicken), and Belgian waffles for dessert. The locale also has more than 10 Belgian beers on tap.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Dive into the nightlife
Cafés and restaurants aside, the Belgian Quarter is also the place to be after dark. Little Link is for upscale cocktails, Grünfeld for Kölsch foosball battles, and Sixpack for a last drink and dance when everything else is slowly closing up. But there is lots in between: electronic music and fantastic drinks at Zum Scheuen Reh, hip-hop club nights at Subway, or techno at Reineke Fuchs. If you’re looking to get a drink in a relatively chilled atmosphere, Barracuda Bar, Zum Goldenen Schuss and Wohngemeinschaft are a great choice.
Explore the street art
Much of the appeal of the Belgian Quarter stems from its creative, almost bohemian vibe that comes with the large number of young creatives and artistic souls living and working here. Street corners, lamp posts and garage doors are decorated with murals and stencil art, but there are also a few galleries dedicated to the urban art form. KUNst&So is a small gallery in the heart of the quarter dedicated to local artists. Cologne street artist Thomas Baumgärtel, who is known for his banana stencil, and his peer xxxhibition showcase their own and other artists’ murals, stencils and paste-ups at the 30works gallery, while Ruttkowski68 exhibits contemporary and street art by top international names.
The Belgian Quarter cityscape is dotted with many trendy cafés that seam the streets. Artisan coffee aficionados should visit the Heilandt Kaffeemanufaktur, while those who fancy coffee, wine and gelato shouldn’t miss out on the glitzy Salon Schmitz. But that’s not all: Miss Päpki is an enchanting café right on Brüsseler Platz, which is known for its romantic interior and delicious cakes, the next-door souterrain Café Belgique lures with salads, quiches and slouchy sofas, Café Spatz is dedicated to health food, and the As/If Record Store Café serves coffee from the Ehrenfeld Van Dyck roastery and yummy lunches, and has shelves stacked with vinyl records for sale.
Mingle with locals
If you want to mingle with locals and you’re in town during the warmer months of the year, all you need to do is head over to Brüsseler Platz at the heart of the Belgian Quarter. Over the last few years, the square has become one of the most popular hangout spots, and on a sunny weekend, the 20- and 30-somethings pour into the corner shop to get drinks and snacks and spend all afternoon and night outside.
Join the parties and events
Throughout the year, several events celebrate the best things the Belgian Quarter has to offer: food, fashion, art and design. Every January, the Passagen Festival puts local designers in the spotlight. The Belgian Quarter shops, galleries and workshops open their doors to present the latest trends in design, ranging from home décor and ceramics to interior design and furniture. In April, Le Tour Belgique takes over the quarter for a weekend, with a day and night programme of DJ sets, live concerts, art exhibitions, lectures, theatre performances and a lot more, while Chic Belgique dazzles with late-night shopping and in-store events.
Shop the latest trends
Speaking of shopping – if there’s one way of spending a day in the Belgian Quarter, it’s browsing the many hip boutiques that have popped up in recent years. Cologne fashion blogger Lena Terlutter hit a nerve when she opened Boutique Belgique in 2010, with select items from Vila, Selected, Maison Scotch and more. The shelves and clothes racks of Magasin Populaire are filled with lots of lesser-known designers and Scandi fashion from mbyM, Samsøe & Samsøe, and Sessùn, while men should check out Monsieur Courbet for stylish items from Dr Denim, Armedangels, Forvert and more.
Looking for somewhere to stay? Book one of the best hostels and budget hotels in Cologne now through Culture Trip.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.