Being situated at the heart of the Baden-Württemberg state, Tübingen is the perfect gateway to explore all the gems the region has to offer. From dreamy castles to sprawling palaces and enchanted villages and cosmopolitan hubs, here are our ideas for the best day trips to take from Tübingen.
The state capital of Baden-Württemberg is only 45 kilometres (28 miles) north of Tübingen, and its attractions easily fill a day’s worth of sightseeing. The New Palace, St. John’s Church and the State Library are must-sees, while art fans should also put the Staatsgalerie on the list. A sightseeing trip of downtown Stuttgart and can be combined with a detour to either the Mercedes or the Porsche museum, each featuring vintage cars, past designs and concept cars in their dedicated exhibitions.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The Black Forest
You might think of cake, cuckoo clocks and funny hats, but there’s more to Germany’s renowned woodlands. Extensive hiking trails, wellness retreats and fantastic restaurants make the Black Forest region a mecca for outdoor enthusiasts, spa lovers and foodies alike, and the best part is, you can get to some of the hotspots within an hour to 90 minutes from Tübingen. Depending on what you’re after, you can head to Titisee Neustadt water-based activities, go for a hike around Freudenstadt or have a gourmet dinner in Baiersbronn.
Known for the sprawling Ludwigsburg Palace, Ludwigsburg is one of the major tourists draws of the region. Inside, the Baroque masterpiece is decked out with lavish decor and furniture. You can tour the lavish chambers, the royal theatre and palace chapel, and take a stroll through the vast parks and gardens. Aside from the palace, Ludwigsburg offers a number of other attractions, including the Evangelical city church, Monrepos and the Favorite Palace. You can reach Ludwigsburg within an hour from Tübingen.
Esslingen is situated a mere 45-minute drive north from Tübingen and lures with an old town that oozes medieval charm. The Neckar River and several canals cut through the old town of half-timbered houses and create picture-perfect vistas for your holiday snaps. In the warmer months, locals decorate their houses with fresh flowers, even adding to the idyllic charm of the town. Once there, you can explore Esslingen on foot or rent a paddle board to sail down the waterways.
If you’re into fairytale castles (who isn’t?), this one should take the number one spot of your list of priorities. Perched on a hilltop 30 minutes south of Tübingen, the beautiful castle emerges from the canopy and towers above a picturesque valley below. The interior is best explores as part of a guided tour which takes you around the lavishly decorated royal chambers, the armoury, chapel, tavern and the large knight’s hall.
Nestled at the foothills of the Swabian Alps, Bad Urach is a popular spa town is known for its mineral thermal waters and stunning town centre, and you can get there within 40 minutes from Tübingen. With an old town largely composed of well-preserved half-timbered houses, the small town is a popular spot along Germany’s Timber-Frame Road. Combine a stroll around town with an easy hike through the nearby woodlands – there are castle ruins and a waterfall to discover.
More magical bliss is brought about by Lichtenstein Castle. When you first catch a glimpse of it, you might feel as if you’re about to enter a Disney film. You’re not alone – the serene setting has lured German filmmakers to the site before, who shot a remake of Sleeping Beauty here. Some of the highlights are the 15th and 16th-century glass art in the castle chapel, the weaponry and the royal chambers which are decorated with colourful murals.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.