Garmisch-Patenkirchen is a year-round destination, welcoming skiers and snowboarders in winter, as well as hiking enthusiasts in the warmer months. It’s also a great base for exploring further afield – here’s our pick of the best day trips around, from the natural wonders of Bavaria through to the cultural hubs of Munich and Innsbruck.
In just over an hour from Garmisch-Patenkirchen you can reach the state capital of Munich, home of the original Oktoberfest and cultural hub of Bavaria. While a day is not enough to see it all, it certainly suffices to cover the essentials: pass along Marienplatz and the grand town hall, follow the trails through the English Garden and watch surfers take on the artificial Eisbach wave, wow at the collection of 19th-century fine art at the Neue Pinakothek gallery and have a beer at the Hofbräuhaus.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
A twenty-minute drive takes you to Mittenwald, a picture-perfect village. Known for an idyllic townscape composed of pastel-coloured Bavarian houses decorated with wooden shutters, fresh flowers and murals, Mittenwald is the perfect destination for a relaxed stroll. The adorable town is also known for violin making – the violin Mozart used in concert was crafted here – and a small museum boasts a stunning collection of instruments.
Take a road trip
Southern Bavaria is studded with dreamy castles, imposing palaces and lavishly-decorated churches, some of which are in close proximity to Garmisch-Patenkirchen and can be visited on a single road trip full of magical sights, including Neuschwanstein, probably the most famous castle of all. Head to the Wieskirche near Steingaden first – a Rococo masterpiece and UNESCO World Heritage Site – followed by Hohenschwangau Palace and finally, Neuschwanstein Castle which looks like something straight out of a Disney film.
Since you’re right at the border with Austria, why not pop across and see what Innsbruck has to offer? The drive down takes around an hour, depending on traffic, and is rewarded with a full day of sightseeing. Stroll around the old town and visit the Imperial Palace and the Court Church, marvel at the facade of Helbling Haus and see the city’s most significant landmark: the Golden Roof, known as Goldenes Dachl to the locals.
High up on the list of natural wonders of the region is the Partnachklamm gorge, which is just 15 minutes south from Garmisch-Patenkirchen. Here, 85-metre (279-foot) tall, rugged walls of shell limestone, which were deposited 240 million years ago when the area was still covered by an ocean, dominate over the beautiful canyon. In the warmer months, glacier water trickles down the walls and runs through the gorge, while in winter everything becomes frozen solid, creating a magical winter wonderland.
Halfway between Garmisch-Patenkirchen and Munich, you find one of Germany’s most beautiful lakes. Set against the Alpine peaks in the background, the stunning lake is not only a mecca for windsurfers, but also offers boat rental and cruises, vast grassy meadows, walking trails and beer gardens along the way.
A dream of building opulent and dreamy castles earned King Ludwig II his nickname ‘Fairy Tale King’. One of those built is situated about half an hour away – the rooms of Linderhof Palace are ornate with murals, paintings, tapestries and beaten gold, though the most famous element is the ‘wishing table’ in the dining hall. Like in the Brothers Grimm’s fairy tale, the table could be lowered into the kitchen and up again set with a three-course meal at any time. The trip is best combined with a detour via the Benedictine Ettal monastery, where monks still run the hotel, on-site brewery and publishing house – don’t miss out on a visit to the abbey church. Thanks to a Baroque makeover, the church shines in a lavish splendour of colourful frescoes, stucco ornaments and filigree gold decor.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.