Every jam-packed day of sightseeing should start with a scrumptious breakfast or brunch, and if you’re headed to Leipzig, you’re in luck. The city has an abundance of cute and cosy cafés, coffee shops and restaurants that serve up all kinds of delicious food, from eggs on toast to vegan smoothie bowls. Here are the top seven brunch and breakfast spots in Leipzig.
For more than 100 years, Café Maître has wooed its guests with its French-infused interior and cuisine. The breakfast menu lists all kind of French treats, ranging from no-fuss combinations of croissants and jam or baguettes and brie to more elaborate creations that easily feed two. The Paris-ÎIe-de-France platter comes with pork terrine, salmon, a selection of French cheeses, Burgundy ham, salami, olives, homemade jam, boiled eggs, marinated veggies and fresh orange juice.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
On the weekends, this trendy locale is mostly frequented by Leipzig’s students who slowly kick off the day with a late breakfast (available till 3pm). The menu at Café Cantona includes standard items such as pastries and sandwiches to eggs in all shapes and sizes, but it also draws inspiration from Germany’s regional specialities, like the Bavarian sausage and pretzel breakfast. International foods also make the list. The full English breakfast with the much-loved baked beans, bacon, eggs and sausages is also available, as are vegetarian and vegan options.
süß + salzig
Sheltered from the city-centre buzz, süß + salzig occupies a spot in west Leipzig’s Lindenau neighbourhood. The mid-week breakfast menu lists a number of sweet and savoury combinations, including muesli and yoghurt, pastries with jam and a chocolate spread and buns with ham and cheese. All items can be ordered vegetarian or completely vegan, which come with hummus, olive tapenade and seitan. If you’re heading here on the weekends, we recommend that you make a reservation, since the Saturday and Sunday breakfast and brunch buffet is quite popular.
While Karl-Liebknecht-Strasse (‘Karli’), the main drag of the hip Südvorstadt district, draws the nighttime crowd with its many bars, pubs and nightclubs, the mornings see coffee and breakfast enthusiasts flock to Café Puschkin to kick off the day with a sumptuous meal. You can pick from standard options involving all kinds of baked goods, toppings, boiled eggs, pancakes, omelettes and granola; the menu also lists a number of intriguing hearty dishes. Think fried eggs with baked beans and bacon or the hangover cure of a beef burger patty on rye bread with BBQ sauce, pickles, tomatoes and onions.
A stone’s throw from Leipzig’s old market square is Café Zuckerhut. From Monday to Friday, the charming locale serves a number of favourite breakfast items that cater to everyone, including cheese lovers, fitness enthusiasts and Champagne drinkers. Themed platters aside, you can also create your own plate of scrambled eggs with a bunch of different ingredients. On Saturdays, you can pick and choose from a breakfast buffet, while Sundays are reserved for a brunch feast of warm and cold foods ranging from fruit platters and cereal, to breads and spreads, to antipasti, waffles and more.
Another one of ‘Karli’s’ studenty breakfast and hangover-recovery hotspots is Hotel Seeblick. While the café does not offer views of a lake, as the name might suggest, it welcomes you with a rather bland GDR-style interior and is definitely on the casual end of the eatery spectrum. But they whip up an opulent daily breakfast all the way until 4pm, which comes in handy if you want to sleep in. Options include Portuguese almond pastries, bagels, pancakes, and eggs on toast. The vegan breakfast platter comes with homemade dips, spreads and a smoothie.
Café Luise is only a short stroll from Leipzig’s city centre and its main attractions. Finding a seat shouldn’t be a problem during the week, but if you’re planning for a relaxed weekend breakfast, it’s best to reserve a table. The menu caters to all tastes – the Vital platter, for example, appeals to the health-conscious eaters who like to start the day with muesli and yoghurt, wholegrain bread, cream cheese and orange juice, while the Bauernfrühstück is a hearty composition of fried potatoes with eggs, bacon, bell pepper and onions.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.