Culture Trip interviews the Berlin Craft Beer Experience, a company giving tours of the Berlin craft beer scene, to see what exactly is craft beer and why it is the new up-and-coming trend in Berlin.
We head to OiShii Hot Dog in Prenzlauer Berg to meet the faces behind the Berlin Craft Beer Experience, a company that gives tours of craft beer bars and breweries in Berlin. Hobby brewer and tour guide Clifton Kinchen welcomes us with PR guru Holly Parker.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
“Growing up, I didn’t like drinking beer, but when I turned twenty-one, my friends dragged me to a bar where I tried Dead Guy Ale by Rouge Brewery and that was it,” Cliff tells us.
Fast forward to today and he has made his life and business craft beer. Originally planning a brief stay in Berlin, Cliff changed his mind after befriending Holger Trabant, owner of Bierleib, who took Cliff under his wing and introduced him to a community of like-minded souls: “As long as you’re passionate about beer, the Berlin Craft Community will always roll out the red carpet whether you’re a little start-up tour business, a gypsy brewer without a brewery, or simply someone who wants to try something new. However, if you’re just coming to Berlin to make a quick buck off craft beer and are willing to check passion and creativity at the door, then you came to the wrong town, chum.”
In order to make a living, Cliff began giving nightlife tours around the city, discovering the hidden gems Berlin has to offer. In 2014 he decided to start his own company providing craft beer tours. Cliff is clear on the reasons why: “I started doing this because I genuinely enjoyed the unique history and social climate that has allowed Berlin to become the leader in Germany for craft brewing. I absolutely love teaching people about the wide world of styles that beer has to offer.”
What exactly is craft beer and how is it different from ‘regular’ German beer?
In Germany, there is a 499-year-old law called the Rheinheitsgebot (which translates literally to ‘purity order’). This law, which was first adopted in Bavaria in 1516, states that the only ingredients that can be used to make beer are: hops, barley, and water (though yeast was later added). Anything that contains more than these ingredients cannot legally be considered beer in Germany, something that is still to this day strictly regulated. Germans take their beer very seriously, so it is no wonder that Germany is world-renowned for its beer and beer culture. If this is the case, where does craft beer fit in? Up until a few years ago there weren’t many options in Germany, besides the large, corporate breweries who Cliff jokingly refers to as the ‘Beer Mafia.’
In order to break from these overbearing companies, craft brewing gave beer-lovers a way back to a more traditional approach where taste and quality came first. The important thing to know about craft breweries is that they are small, independent and local businesses, that put time and care into their product.
While these beers might be a little more expensive than your average Berliner Pilsner, you are supporting local businesses and more-often-than-not, getting a lot more flavor for your buck. Brewers experiment with different adjuncts, or additions, such as coffee, chocolate, nuts, or fruits, in order to create unique and truly delicious tasting beer.
When asked about their favorite beer of the moment, Cliff and Holly were unanimous in recommending Freigeist Brewery’s Pfefferkörner, or black pepper beer. If you don’t have the time or the money to shell out for a craft beer at the bar, that’s okay; Cliff suggests going to your local Spätie and picking up a Heimat Helles (look for the blue label), a local beer from a company that started out as gypsy brewers. Cliff and Holly also suggest checking out these unique craft beer bars: Home, Zum Starken August and Frenc.
The amount of information that Cliff knows about the beer culture in Berlin, as well as the craft beer scene itself, is truly astonishing. Combine that with a passion for doing what he loves: Cliff makes The Berlin Craft Beer Experience a truly unique and amazing time for anyone who has a love of beer.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.