Germany has a series of truly stunning lakes showcasing the country’s pristine natural beauty. Whether you’re in search of water sports, a health and wellness break, or you want to check out some exciting sightseeing, you’ll find something to suit in our pick of the 12 most beautiful lakes in Germany.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The Königssee in Berchtesgadener Land is the deepest, cleanest and one of the most spectacular lakes in Germany. This crystal-clear alpine lake offers panorama boat tours in electric boats across its surface, leaving travelers speechless with gorgeous mountain views all around. The boats make a stop at Sankt Bartholomä, a beautiful Roman Catholic pilgrimage church from the 1600s.
Bodensee (Lake Constance)
Bodensee enjoys an unbeatable location – it perches in the sunniest region in Germany, and is ringed by three countries – Germany, Austria and Switzerland. Bodensee is not only a stunning lake and the biggest in Germany, but offers all the right ingredients and weather for a memorable family holiday any time of the year. It laps the shores of the beautiful towns of Meersburg, Lindau, Bregenz and the Flower Island of Mainau, and offers hiking trails, river cruises, cable car rides and mountain top excursions.
Titisee is the largest natural lake in Black Forest and one of the most popular attractions of the region. It sits in the lap of impenetrably dense forests and rolling hills. The view of the lake from the surrounding highlands is as breathtaking as the view of the land from a cruise boat. Titisee is also perfect for rowing and windsurfing.
Chiemsee, a freshwater lake in Bavaria, is often referred to as the Bavarian Sea because of its sheer size (80 sq.km.) and tides. As with almost any other lake, delving into its heart in a boat is the best way of getting to know it and its three islands, Herreninsel, Frauenchiemsee and Krautinsel. Herreninsel is a magnet for tourists, thanks to the famous Herrenchiemsee Castlefrom the 1800s.
Created during the ice age, Lake Müritz is the second largest lake in Germany. The lake kisses the shore of the outstandingly beautiful Müritz National Park that hundreds of rare birds call their home. There is a lot to see and do in the Lake Müritz region, including hiking or biking around the lake or swimming or boating in its calm waters. Travelers also have the option of exploring the fascinating towns of Mirow, Ankershagen, Röbel, Sietow and Waren.
Eibsee is an unbelievably pretty lake with dazzling emerald green water in the rugged Zugspitze mountain region. This privately-owned lake, with its eight islands, is considered to be a hidden jewel of the Bavarian Alps. Travelers are welcome to explore the lake by boat or by foot along its hiking trails. In winter, the entire lake freezes over, transforming it into a magical winter land and a paradise for skiers.
The Alpsee, together with the fairytale castles of Hohenschwangau and Neuschwanstein and the dense, glorious Allgäu highlands, makes this area one of the most picturesque in Germany. Nestled in the midst of imposing cliffs and dark forests, the lake is a perfect family destination. It offers boating, sailing, surfing, hiking and swimming in summer, and skiing, snow hiking and ice-skating in winter.
Schluchsee, the largest lake in Black Forest, is perched at a height of 930 meters (3,050 feet) above sea level. Thanks to its stunning panorama, crystal-clear water and the opportunity to engage in a number of water sports as well as swimming, this glacial lake is a tourist hotspot. Hiking along the lake or boating in its calm surface while enjoying the mesmerizing beauty of the Black Forest are also much-loved activities in this region.
The Mummelsee is a gem of the Black Forest Hochstrasse, nestled at an altitude of 1,036 meters (3,399 feet). The lake is shrouded in myths and legends about water spirits and the King of the Mummelsee residing in its waters, which has considerably increased its attraction and romance among travelers. This pristine lake, ringed by lush green foliage, offers hiking and biking trails, paragliding opportunities or just a chance to break away from the bustle of life and enjoy solitude.
Tegernsee is a sparkling blue lake in the Bavarian Alps that begs to be photographed. It is one of the most popular lake resorts in the country and offers excellent opportunities for hiking, biking and adventure sports. It is also a great health and wellness region and provides loads of fun activities for the little ones, making it a perfect choice for a family holiday.
Situated close to Starnberg, Ammersee is a serene lake that is perfect for a leisurely holiday as well as an active break. It promises a beautiful vista of blue waters, picture-postcard boat houses and cliffs in the horizon. It is also a great spot for indulging in water sports and hiking. While it’s bright and gorgeous in summer, the region bursts into warm russet, yellow and red hues in autumn. In winter, surrounded by snow and shrouded in mist, the icy lake takes on a surreal beauty.
Lake Starnberg is a jewel of South Bavaria, only 25 km (15.5 miles) away from the bustling city of Munich. The sparkling blue lake surrounded by dark mountains, and with boats bobbing in the horizon, is straight out of a picture book. To enjoy the beauty of Lake Starnberg to the fullest, take to the water on a cruise. The boats stop at picture-postcard towns along the way, such as Berg, Possenhofen, Tutzing, Bernried and Seeshaupt.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.