Lake Constance (Bodensee), nestled in the foothills of the Alps, straddles three countries—Germany, Austria, and Switzerland. As the sunniest area in Germany, this gorgeous stretch of water is a favorite holiday destination almost year-round. The lake laps the shores of picture-perfect towns; it also looks out to the majestic Alps and is steeped in culture and history.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Explore Konstanz town and harbor
The 11th-century Konstanz Minster dominating the skyline of Konstanz is an incredible sight, with an equally impressive interior. The cobblestoned Old Town is a great spot to stroll, thanks to its astonishing architecture, especially the historic Hohenzollernhaus and Rathaus. The Rosgarten Museum, Archäologisches Landesmuseum, and Hus-Haus Museum provide a generous dose of culture. The Konstanz harbor, with its sweeping vistas, is an incredible spot to slow down and enjoy the beauty of nature, and witnessing a sunset from there is an unforgettable experience.
Click gorgeous photos at Mainau
Mainau, the Flower Island, is a burst of colors off the shore of Lake Constance. The island is home to a million flowers and plants across a mind-boggling number of species. The look of the island changes with the seasons but is consistently mesmerizing, and the air above the island is always thick with the heady aroma of flowers. Mainau Castle, built in the 1700s, provides a fitting backdrop to this incredibly beautiful garden island. Mainau also has a butterfly garden and playgrounds, making it a perfect family destination.
Enjoy the beauty of Lindau’s harbor
Lindau is a town in Bavaria, Germany, known for its gorgeous panorama over the lake and historic architecture from the Gothic, Renaissance, and Baroque eras. Lindau’s harbor is guarded by the two most famous landmarks of Lindau—the 33-meter-high (108 ft) lighthouse and the six-meter-high (19.6 ft) lion. The 20-meter-high (65.5 ft) Mangturm Tower with its glazed roof tiles remains an inspiring sight even after it lost its job to the new lighthouse. Travelers willing to climb 89 steps to the top of the tower are rewarded with uninterrupted views over the lake.
Walk down history at Meersburg Castle
Meersburg Castle (Alte Burg) is the oldest inhabited fortress-castle in all of Germany; its history dates back to the 7th century. The castle, perched high above the lake, poses an impressive sight. The castle museum showcases the Knights Hall, Arms Hall, and ancient rooms. Visitors get to walk the corridors where the guards marched and see the vantage points from where they used to keep an eye on the surroundings. The creepy death chamber and the dungeon are also open to the public. The castle garden is a green oasis in which travelers can relax and slow down before continuing with their sightseeing.
Be mesmerized by the landscape of Allgäu
Many travelers agree that the Allgäu highland, sprawling over a large part of Bavarian Swabia and spilling over to Austria, is one of the most stunning landscapes in Europe. The area is dotted with mirror-like alpine lakes, swathes of dense forests and unbelievably quaint villages tucked into the lap of majestic mountains. Allgäu has also earned its reputation as a great wellness and health resort. It is also an excellent place to cycle, hike or ski.
Take a leisurely boat ride
No trip to Lake Constance is complete without a boat ride. Catamarans, ferries, car ferries and cruise ships operated by multiple companies connect the towns and islands surrounding the lake. Boat trips on Lake Constance not only provide the opportunity to get up close to the lake but also open up an entirely different perspective of the surrounding towns that cannot be imagined from land. Nothing spells romance more effectively than watching the fierce red sun dip into the calm waters, and all from a boat in the middle of the lake.
Visit Salem Monastery and Palace
The Salem Monastery and Castle, a magnificent blend of Gothic and Baroque styles, is the most significant cultural landmark in the Lake Constance region. The massive and richly ornate complex leaves no doubt about the extent of wealth and power enjoyed by the former Cistercian abbey in the 1100s. Today, visitors to the palace get to experience a slice of the splendor that the heads of the imperial abbey were used to. The Gothic church never fails to drop jaws with its stunning alabaster interior designed in the 18th century.
Two countries in one day – Hop over to Bregenz, Austria
Bregenz, the capital of Vorarlberg, Austria, is perched on the southeastern shore of Lake Constance. This beautiful town is famous for its many excellent museums, vast lakeside summer opera, unique architecture and endless hiking and biking trails. The favorite thing for travelers to do here is to take the gondola to Pfänder Mountain, which promises unforgettable views of Lake Constance, the Swiss Alps, and Allgäu uplands.
See six countries together from the Säntis
The 2,502-meter (8,209-foot) Säntis Mountain, on the Switzerland side of Lake Constance, towers over its surroundings. The Säntis Cableway takes visitors all the way up to the peak of Säntis Mountain. Those 10 minutes are usually the highlight of everyone’s holiday, as rarely in life do travelers get the chance to see six countries spread out below their feet! From the terrace and observation deck at the peak, visitors can continue being mesmerized by the views of Switzerland, Germany, Italy, France, Lichtenstein and Austria in all of their glory.
Travel to the Stone Age – Visit the Stilthouse Museum
It is now possible to travel back in time to the Stone and Bronze ages, thanks to the Stilthouse Museum (Pfahlbau Museum Unteruhldingen). This unique museum showcases reconstructed stilt houses belonging to the natives of this region between approximately 4300 BC and 800 BC. The museum offers guided tours and a wealth of information on the lives of the original inhabitants and their lifestyles.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.