If you find yourself with more time after absorbing the rich history and culture of Nuremberg, you are in luck! There are several interesting places to explore near Nuremberg, and you are sure to find at least a few that interest you. Read on as we spoil you with choices of romantic towns, UNESCO sites, a somber concentration camp, a fun family outing, and lots more.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The captivating town of Bamberg is laid on seven hills and is largely a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Medieval charm, gorgeous Baroque architecture, quaint pubs, and the harmonious coexistence of historic squares with modern shops make it one of the most popular spots in Bavaria. The most iconic sight in Bamberg is the Old Town Hall perched over River Regnitz. When in town, don’t miss Altenburg Castle, Old Court, Cathedral Square, New Residence, and St. Michael’s Monastery.
Distance from Nuremberg: Approximately 61 km (38 miles)
Rothenburg ob der Tauber
Rothenburg ob der Tauber is a gem along Germany’s iconic Romantic Road. This quaint town boasting an impeccably preserved medieval heart, is steeped in history and romance. Its flower-box windows, narrow cobbled alleys, adorable shops, and half-timbered houses have made millions of tourists fall in love with it. Don’t miss the Criminal Museum and Christmas Museum during your visit.
Distance from Nuremberg: Approximately 81 km (50 miles)
A picture-perfect yet underhyped town in Germany, Regensburg promises a day of beautiful views and 2000 years of history. Straddled on the Danube River, this UNESCO World Heritage Site is best known for its amazing architecture – stunning Gothic, Romanesque, and Baroque churches, colorful houses from the 12th and 13th centuries, as well as contemporary structures. The bridge connecting the Old Town with the modern part of the city provides a perfect photo opportunity.
Distance from Nuremberg: Approximately 113 km (70 miles)
If you are fascinated by ancient architecture and rich history, Würzburg is perfect for you. The most famous landmark in Würzburg is the UNESCO-listed Royal Residence that boasts a unique harmony of French château architecture, Viennese Baroque style, and secular Italian influence. Visitors are welcome to take a tour of its lavish interiors. When in town, don’t miss the Marienberg Fortress, Old Bridge, Hofkirche and the Cathedral.
Distance from Nuremberg: Approximately 109 km (68 miles)
Erlangen is an unassuming, shy town that is often overshadowed by its more famous neighbor, Nuremberg. However, a town whose history goes back over a thousand years is certainly a worthy stop for a day trip. The most popular landmark in Erlangen is the Palace, along with the beautiful palace gardens and botanical garden. For a relaxed day, stroll its well-preserved medieval squares and grab a hearty German meal in the Old Town.
Distance from Nuremberg: Approximately 21 km (13 miles)
Coburg is a charming town on the River Itz that is not yet overrun by tourists. It houses the 15th-century Ehrenburg Palace built in Gothic Revival style, whose ornate interior is surely worth a trip. Also, check out the Callenberg Castle and the huge Coburg Fortress. Coburg is credited with hosting one the most magical Christmas markets in Bavaria.
Distance from Nuremberg: Approximately 109 km (68 miles)
Playmobil Fun Park
If you are traveling with kids, Playmobil Fun Park is a perfect idea for a fun family day out. This doll-themed amusement park offers a galore of rides, exciting play areas, shows, themed enclosures, and lots of activities to keep your little bundle of energy busy for hours.
Distance from Nuremberg: Approximately 11 km (6.7 miles)
Flossenberg Concentration Camp
Flossenberg Concentration Camp is a reminder of the horrors of Nazism and the Holocaust. A tour of the camp gives you a sobering glimpse of the suffering and torture thousands of innocent people went through. The administration block, wash-house, crematorium, detention cells, laundry, dining room, and guard towers have been impeccably preserved or restored. Gardens of remembrance have been built in honor of the victims. Entry to the camp is free, but you can leave a donation if you wish.
Distance from Nuremberg: Approximately 138 km (86 miles)
This historic town of Berching is often overlooked by tourists, and the locals wouldn’t have it any other way. Time seems to have stood still in this beautiful Bavarian town, affectionately called the “Jewel of the Middle Ages.” The appeal of Berching lies in its fully preserved city wall ring from the 15th century, complete with towers and gates. The town is punctuated with beautiful town houses, an ornate Baroque church, narrow alleys, and charming medieval squares.
Distance from Nuremberg: Approximately 59 km (37 miles)
Weltenburg Abbey and Kloster
The Weltenburg Abbey and Kloster is not just a monument but a history lesson. This Benedictine monastery was founded way back in 600 AD, making it the oldest monastery in Bavaria. It enjoys a picturesque location on the peninsula on the River Danube near the northern slopes of the Arzberg mountain, and proudly guards the entrance to the Danube Gorge. Visit the monastery to admire its frescoes, oil paintings, and ancient organs and alters.
Distance from Nuremberg: Approximately 111 km (69 miles)
Iphofen is a tiny Bavarian town enjoying a tranquil existence at the foothills of the Schwanberg Mountain near the River Main. This 741 AD town deserves a stop especially for its impeccably preserved medieval city wall, which is a rarity in modern times. Strolling past its Baroque town hall, St. Vitus Church, and Heilig Blut Church and checking out a few of its museums guarantee a pleasant day trip.
Distance from Nuremberg: Approximately 93 km (58 miles)
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.