Ralf Rüller, quality obsessed and a caffeine aficionado, is the brains behind The Barn coffee roasters and coffee shop in Berlin. The Barn has a philosophy that mirrors that of the slow food movement, creating the least amount of distance between source and product. We take a deeper look at this popular shop with its creator.
TCT: How did you decide to start The Barn?
RR: I lived in London for 10 years, very near Borough Market. Moving back to my own country in 2008, I wanted to open my own shop, to focus on a few things that I feel very passionate about, and to make them as good as possible. No compromise. That was Coffee, Bread and Cake; all made on site and all equally well done. After learning the trade for two ears at the wonderful Splendid Delikatessen, I started The Barn in June 2010.
TCT: Can you describe your first experience when you realized that you loved coffee?
RR: I think I was ready for a change in my life and to focus on something I totally believed in. I felt that a door had opened and I was totally on fire.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
TCT: What sets The Barn apart from other roasteries and/or cafés in Berlin?
RR: We have been pioneers for uncompromised quality from the first day. We go all the way and execute with perfection. We are obsessed with quality and detail. The Barn has a fully integrated approach; we fully involve our baristas in our roast evaluation. All coffees are followed and evaluated on our bar every day. In roasting we pick the best beans we can find and build a close bridge to the farmers; every link in the value chain, from crop to cup, is equally important to produce the perfect cup of coffee. In principle we never blend any of our coffees in order that we can properly showcase each farm and terroir. If a coffee tastes great you don’t need to add another coffee to it to make it taste better. Its a very simple concept and connects everybody to the very special farms we work with.
TCT: What advice would you give to your younger self?
RR: To age slower so I can live longer.
TCT: How would you describe The Barn in 80 words?
RR: A leading specialty coffee roaster in Germany. Known for our uncompromising approach to quality, we only work with highest quality beans, fresh in season. Our strength is to find memorable coffees and to roast them to perfection. All we do is handmade; we are obsessed with quality. In roasting we follow the natural taste of a coffee. In principle we never blend any of our coffees to showcase individual flavor, terroir and the work of each farm.
TCT: If you weren’t roasting coffee/running The Barn what would you be doing?
RR: Spending more quality time with my boyfriend.
TCT: Android or Apple?
RR: Apple. Always.
TCT: Home cooked meal or eat out?
RR: Home cooked. At my home.
TCT: Night owl or early bird?
RR: Early bird. Love to see cities waking up.
TCT: Morocco or Thailand?
RR: Thailand. Miss the climate.
TCT: Be able to fly or be able to go invisible?
RR: Fly. Fly!
TCT: Watch a film or read a book?
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.