Neukölln’s café culture has come a long way in recent years, with a renewed focus on quality and a plethora of coffee shops serving a selection of freshly brewed coffees, lattes and cappuccinos in stylish surroundings.
Home to one of the largest immigrant populations in Berlin, rapidly growing Neukölln is a neighbourhood in flux. Culture Trip travelled to CAMON on Sonnenallee to talk to founder Nicole Peltzer about her third-wave coffee creations, delicious cakes and where she likes to go for a brew. This list will guide you through the best cafés and coffee shops in Neukölln, from local favourites to lesser-known haunts.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
There’s no better way to start the day in Neukölln than at ultra-minimalist café CAMON. Founder Peltzer appreciates the diversity of the neighbourhood and of her customers, stating: “It’s a place where a number of students, artists, musicians and young professionals converge with blue-collar workers and families from over 160 countries.” Which is why she has established the goal of creating a space where the community can come together and “enjoy life’s simple pleasures like coffee and home-made food”. Coffee aficionados should try the house blend, which is roasted especially for CAMON by Ernst Kaffeeröster. Peltzer describes it as “sweet with a full body, and it works well with milk”. To eat, there is an all-organic breakfast and brunch menu and delectable vegan peanut-butter cookies.
Hosting art exhibitions and helmed by perhaps the friendliest staff in Neukölln, Café Ohne Titel is just as much a meeting spot as it is a purveyor of coffee. Its pear cake, chocolate mousse and apple cake all work to make our lives that little bit sweeter. And just because you’re vegan doesn’t mean you should miss out – the likes of blubbery muffins and pecan cake get the vegan treatment. Peer through the large windows while enjoying your brew – they seem to have been made for people-watching.
Hallman and Klee’s modernist café is the perfect spot for a late-morning or early-afternoon pick-me-up in Neukölln, with espressos prepared by very capable baristas. Its first-class breakfast menu has landed the place a spot on Peltzer’s recommended list of cafés in Neukölln and, as she explains, it has “good variety and classics, home-made bread and a very nice and spacious place to hang out, even with a bigger group of friends”. If you have a sweet tooth, make sure to try to the blueberry and hazelnut pancakes drizzled with maple syrup – they’re the best in town!
Tucked away on a quiet street, Home is quite possibly the quintessential neighbourhood café. The ambience is modest and relaxed, which reflects its New Zealand-born owner Sarah Flanigan. Speciality coffee is served with creamy milk and quality beans from all over the world: Entre Ríos beans from Costa Rica, supplied by Barcelona’s Nømad Coffee, and Gatare beans from Rwanda, supplied by Bratislava’s Goriffee. And for those feeling a little peckish, crumbly scones, cakes, jams and kimchi are sure to satisfy your appetite.
There are a few things in life that make getting out of bed as enticing as the “good coffee, variety of home-made baked goods and friendly service at Katie’s Blue Cat”, according to CAMON’s Peltzer. With beans by Bonanza Coffee Roasters, Katie’s is one of the finest cafés around. Founders Ngoc Duong and Olivia Wood had the dream of opening a café that specialised in “Anglophone baking”, and now they have done just that; think pies, shortbread, crumpets and tarts, as well as vegan, gluten-free and reduced-sugar options. The interior, reminiscent of a hip Brooklyn coffee shop, is pretty special, too.
With an assortment of cakes, croissants and sandwiches, the LGBTQ-friendly K-Fetisch offers a retreat from routine coffee-shop stops. Step into a display of vintage sofas, plush chairs and board games, and take in the wafting scent of coffee in the air. Creating a barrier-free space is of utmost importance to the founders – a guarantee that extends to the café’s prices, with a shot of espresso costing just €1.80 (£1.50). Once you’ve had your caffeine fix, peruse the bookshelf or attend one of the monthly film screenings.
Refugio Café is a unique spot run by friendly volunteers from Israel, Syria, Afghanistan, Somalia, Australia and New Zealand. With the shared goal of providing community, support and a home for refugees, all proceeds made from the café go to the refugee charity Refugio. The café is decked out in warm greens with high ceilings, which lends a homey, humble atmosphere. Settle down your laptop and indulge in a slice of cake and speciality coffee made from selected beans by Kaffee 9.
Roamers serves well-prepared espressos, Chemex drip coffee and house-made chai tea lattes in a cosy, vibrant café setting. Expect a space filled with colourful plants, suitcases, vintage travel paraphernalia and customers snapping away at their photogenic plates. But don’t let the rustic interior distract you from the fact that Roamers also serves some of the best coffee in town. Using a vintage Elektra machine and organic milk, this café’s coffee is extra creamy – and extra delicious!
Originally a bagel specialist, Two Planets has since been transformed by its new owners into the ultimate coffee shop. The finest beans from El Salvador are roasted here, and double espressos with lightly foamed milk and matcha lattes (which are rarely found in Berlin) are all served by the “two coolest dudes”, claims Peltzer. Have a giggle as you skim through the fresh juices and soy smoothies named after pop icons – the David Hasselhoff, made from banana, peanut butter and oats, is especially good.
This article is an updated version of a story originally created by Alice Dundon.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.