The German love of hiking sans vêtements is rather perplexing to native English speakers. In Australia, it’s too hot and there are too many things that could bite your dangly bits. In North America and Britain, mosquitos are only too happy to take advantage of the increased real estate. Luckily, there are very few mosquitos in Germany, no poisonous snakes or spiders and no predators large enough to be interested in a bite of something human-sized.
There are still plenty of brambles, nettles, sharp sticks and rough rocks, but that hasn’t dampened locals’ enthusiasm for experiencing nature with no buffer aside from a pair of sturdy boots (and a rucksack, of course).
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Naturgefühl is the German word for the feeling of pleasure and oneness a person achieves when they are in harmony with nature (when they are not worrying about beetles crawling up inside them, or thorns giving other protruding parts a good scratch, that is).
In the Harz mountains in the north of Germany, there is a dedicated 18-kilometre (11-mile) trail from the town of Dankerode to the Wippertal reservoir and back that is dedicated to naked hiking. Handily, this helps to ensure that a group of Girl Scouts on a Saturday outing elsewhere in the mountains don’t unexpectedly encounter a posse of naked hikers.
The Deutscher Verband für Freikörperkultur (‘German Society for Nudists/Naturists’) also organises outings that are private enough to keep all parties enjoying the day. In the Lüneberg Heide, there is the Naturistenweg Undeloh; Süsing, also near Lüneberg, has a nudist campground and hiking trails; and the organisation Natury also has a calendar of events including things such as naked caving, mountain climbing and dancing.
If you’re really feeling the FKK spirit, there is no law in Germany requiring people to wear clothes, so technically you can strut what your mother gave you anywhere, anytime. This doesn’t necessarily mean you can do so without consequences, however. If others feel like it’s an unacceptable time or place to bare all, they will tell you very directly.
France is also generally open to naked hiking, but do take care in other countries. A couple of years ago, Switzerland had to pass a law banning nude hiking because so many naked Germans were wandering over the border that local sensibilities were offended.
Whether you join up with an existing group or give it a go on your own, remember to put sunscreen and insect repellant in with the Schnapps. A scarf or small towel might be useful too, just in case you find yourself suddenly in the company of people who might not appreciate a full view of you in all your your glory.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.