Berlin is famous for its underground scene, be it parties, art or music, so it comes as no surprise that the most creative city in Germany has a thriving underground supper club scene. While Berlin is only slowly starting to catch up to some of the more obvious gastronomic capitals, supper clubs are quietly making a name for themselves as one of the best places to find unique cuisine in Berlin.
Supper club diners will often find themselves walking through construction sites, private backyards and hidden doors in search for the place named in an email following a polite request for a dinner reservation. It feels unreal, mystical and forbidden, heightening the excitement of what’s coming. Next thing they know, diners are in the middle of a private flat, sitting at a table together with people they have never met before, being served by someone who simply loves to host. Secret supper clubs offer a unique experience when it comes to food.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
A fusion of high class European cuisine cooked and served by creative cook Daniel Grothues, this supper club brings guests from all backgrounds together in his living room. If his amazing cooking were not enough, Grothues also offers interactive cooking classes and discrete catering for your very own private dinner event. Holding a masters degree in international marketing gave him the background to found his own design label cuadrado – we create, which offers funny prints on bags and recipes on pinafores: nothing he wouldn’t wear himself.
Thyme Supperclub / Muse
Founded by a European couple with a passion for food, wine and entertainment, this supper club meets once a month. Due to the club’s success, the couple decided to open their own small restaurant, still keeping it as familiar as possible. The basic concept is still the same but spiced up by events, private parties and guest chefs mainly on Saturdays. Each dish that is served here is homemade from scratch, be it the bread or the homemade pickles. They use mainly seasonal, local and fresh ingredients and turn them into simple but delicious food.
Based in Kreuzberg, this Irish-Canadian couple will surprise you every time you come to one of their outstanding private dinners. It’s difficult to get one of the highly sought-after places but it is definitely worth trying. This is fine dining combined with an easy-going atmosphere, with usually between six and eight courses served, together with the perfect wine accompaniment. Be prepared for little surprises along the way. Zuhause is German for ‘at home’ and this is how guests are made to feel when being hosted by this likable couple.
A tribute to all mothers and grandmothers who are forever providing us with delicious food and well known recipes cooked to perfection, Mother’s Mother is one of the most heartwarming supper clubs out there. The host engages a different chef for every event, asking him or her to cook a menu entirely inspired by family recipes. They promise to tell a story each time using the best ingredients and combinations, ensuring guests have an enjoyable and memorable evening.
Ever wondered how delicious raw vegan food could be? Boris uses organic ingredients from the local farmer’s market to create his dishes, which are prepared with ambition, commitment and an eye for detail. The supper club is set in his private studio loft, giving it an intimate but stylish touch perfectly fitting his cuisine. Boris is a professional cook always searching for new recipes, ideas and flavors. Private dinners are usually composed of four to six courses strictly homemade and raw, and accompanied with the finest wines.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.