So, Paris has their croissants and Berlin has their pretzels—they’re sort of like food cousins in a way. Neighboring countries influence each other all the time, but Berlin’s pretzel is one destination for the food touring crew. Before you get here you should know in German they’re known as “brezel,” one can imagine how the name “pretzel” came about.
Pretzels were brought to North America by the Palatine Germans, so don’t be misled by all the NYC street vendors selling pretzels, it’s one of the many inventions brought over the Atlantic from their European ancestors. Bavaria boasts that they have the first rights to the brezel and therefore bake the best—but let’s not make this a competition, considering how Berlin has expanded the German brezel to unimaginable possibilities.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Hot pretzels as we know them
First off, there is the traditional pretzel that comes fluffy and salty in its knotted delight. You can find these pretzels in the bakery section of the supermarket, and if you get there in the morning they taste fresh and warm. All street food markets in Berlin have a pretzel stand. If you want to treat yourself to the real deal, then you’ll have to find yourself a specialty bakery in your local neighborhood (and there are plenty of them). Alpenstück Bäckerei in Mitte has been voted one of the best bakeries in all of Germany. Besides many tasty baked goods you can find in this lecker location, you can also find freshly baked pretzels, both knotted or in a roll form.
Alpenstück Bäckerei, Schröderstraße 1, 10115 Berlin, Germany, +49 30 2175 1645
Brezel Company Berlin
If you’re curious about the potential pretzel options, go to Neukölln’s Brezel Company Berlin. You can smell the bakery from blocks away. Here they don’t limit the pretzels to merely a salty option, but they offer sesame seed, poppy seed, pumpkin seed, and of course cheese. There is always a cheese option in a German bakery. That would be like going to France and not finding any butter, but enough with France for now. While you’re there, you can check out their Bavarian breakfast and brunch specials, but try not to count your carbs.
Then of course there is the pairing of the pretzel with another dish to get your complete carb—beer and a pretzel, for example, is very popular in Berlin. In cafés it’s perfectly normal to order coffee and a pretzel for breakfast or on a simple coffee break. Let’s not forget pairing the pretzel with a wurst, it is Berlin we’re talking about here after all.
The Pretzel Croissant
Did we mention France too many times? Well, here would be just too easy, so we’ll skip right over it, no matter how tempting it is. Zeit für Brot, which has already won several awards for its bakery best, have taken the brave step forward and invented the first pretzel croissant—you can’t really go wrong with that combo. There are many great bakeries in Berlin, and Zeit für Brot is certainly up there.
Zeit für Brot, Alte Schönhauser Str. 4, 10119 Berlin, Germany, +49 30 2804 6780
That pretzel roll we mentioned earlier—you can find it sliced in the center with a butter spread and perhaps a gentle touch of some sort of green leafy thing (we think it’s a vegetable, but we can’t swear by it). Then you can find your classic ham and cheese on a pretzel in street markets and several locations around Alexander Platz. A more daring pretzel is the pretzel with obatzda (a Bavarian concoction of aged Camembert, butter and spices)—it’s pretty cheesy. But, by far, the most far-out pretzel we know of is the pretzel dumpling served with beef brisket. Bye bye mashed potato, hello pretzel dumplings.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.