Berlin may be a mega-metropolis, but it’s also a really great place to be a kid. The city is bursting with fun activities for the whole family, as well as a plethora of kindergartens, innovative playgrounds and parks. Here are some great ideas for things to do with children in Germany’s capital city.
Head to the centre of the city to explore the underwater world of our oceans and rivers. With 30 aquarium tanks and more than 3,000 animals species, Sea Life will ignite a sense of awe in any child. Don’t miss a ride through the AquaDom, an impressive free-standing cylindrical aquarium; you can take the glass elevator to the top and discover a tropical coral reef habitat.
Spandauer Strasse 3, Berlin, Germany, +49 30992800
You can’t go wrong with a family outing to an indoor Legoland playground. The kids will be endlessly entertained by the Lego mini-land, which is a replica of Berlin itself, or riding on the magical friendly dragon through an enchanted Lego castle. There is so much more on offer, including a dinosaur section, a Lego factory tour, a 4D cinema, a playpen and model-building workshops.
Potsdamer Strasse, 4, Berlin, Germany, +49 303010400
Ritter Sport is Germany’s most beloved chocolate brand, and the whole family can explore three levels of chocolate-packed shelves right in Berlin; you can even make your own chocolate! Kids can be chocolatiers for a day, combining flavours to suit their tastes. From banana and colourful puffed rice, to red peppers and strawberries, children’s chocolate will never be the same. The workshops are designed for kids between 7 and 18 years old.
Franzosische Strasse 24, Berlin, Germany, +49 30200950810
Nothing is better for a kid than to explore natural playgrounds, and luckily for families, Berlin in bursting with beautiful gardens and parks where you can get your dose of fresh air and fun. Berlin’s Botanical Garden is a riot of flowers and plant life from all around the world, housed in magnificent greenhouses. Tiergarten, riddled with waterways and epic statues, is also a beautiful day out; you can grab a picnic, a football and frisbee and get down to the fun, simple things in life with the whole family.
Königin-Luise-Straße 6-8, Berlin, Germany, +49 3083850100
Straße des 17. Juni 31, Berlin, Germany, +49 30901833101
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Berlin is full of world-renowned museums, but if the kids don’t quite care about 19th-century art or the Bauhaus movement just yet, take them to the Natural History Museum. This wonderful place boasts the largest dinosaur bone structure in the world, a T-rex, wonderful videos and models of the world and our solar system, an epic taxidermy section and a vast collection of beautiful minerals and stones. With so much fun and so much to look at, it’s a guaranteed hit with the little ones.
Invalidenstraße 43, Berlin, Germany, +49 3020938591
Waldspielplatz is a children’s playground set in the magical Plänterwald forests right in the heart of Berlin. The playground is special because it’s built mostly from wood and other natural materials, and is a great place to get your hands dirty while getting in touch with your inner child. The climbing frames, trains, tractors and boats are all crafted from pieces of trees, and make for an imaginative, happy space for families to enjoy.
While there are lots of lakes on Berlin’s outskirts where adults can go and cool down, sometimes these aren’t really suitable for the whole family. Rather head to the water playground at Nordbahnhof for a day of splashing about with other children, set amid shaded trees. It’s a great place for you to relax while the kids have a ball.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.