Berlin is a city that’s constantly evolving. Relics from its past blend in with built-up parts of the city, and hidden gems can be found in the most unlikely places. For travellers in the know, concealed sights and attractions are easy to find. Here is a taste of Berlin’s secret spots and sights.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
A GDR relic
Schlesischer Busch is a post-war watchtower, located in Schlesischer Park. It’s easy to overlook, but it’s worth looking out for. The amazing relic still has the original searchlight and the rifle hatches on its roof. As is usual in Berlin, the tower has been marked with graffiti. After all, what kind of landmark would it be without a little paint?
The Buddhist temple in Spandau
At the very end of Berlin’s U7 line in Spandau, a neighbourhood known for its fortified citadel and old town charm sits a beautiful Buddhist temple. The Linh Thuu Pagode was built by Berlin’s Vietnamese Buddhist community and brings an authentic Eastern energy to Berlin. Gold Buddha statues adorn the temple and staircases with carved dragons line the walkways. The surrounding garden has traditional statues, plants and a zen atmosphere. All visitors are welcome, provided they remove their shoes before entering the temple and act respectfully while enjoying the surrounding area.
A secret art bunker
One of the most exclusive and thrilling art secrets in Berlin, the Sammlung Boros Collection, or Boros Bunker, is enveloped in an aura of mystery, history and cutting-edge creativity. The structure was built in 1942 and served as a bomb shelter. Since then it has subsequently been used as a prison, a banana storeroom, and a S&M fetish club. Eventually it found its way into the hands of Christian Boros and his family, who transformed it into the luxurious art gallery it is today. Artists such as Olafur Eliasson, Wolfgang Tillmans, and Tracey Emin are some of the hundreds of international talents who have exhibited here. The atmosphere is kept special by yet another catch: visits are only possible on weekends, and by appointment.
Breakfast on top of the Reichstag
The Reichstag has been a silent witness to Berlin‘s turbulent history and is one of the city’s most significant historical buildings. It’s also home to some of the best city views from its glass dome, which can be enjoyed by booking online. However, for those without a German address, the wait-list to get in can be months long during the warmer months, so a nifty way to skip the line and still enjoy the view is by booking into Dachgarten Restaurant atop the Reichstag. Here, visitors can enjoy a sun-drenched, authentic German breakfast and amazing city views.
Amazing indoor aquarium
Situated in the Radisson Blu Hotel, the AquaDom is easy for tourists and locals to miss if they aren’t searching for it. The tall, cylindrical aquarium with a built-in elevator houses 1500 tropical fish and is the world’s largest free-standing aquarium. Next door is Sea Life, which wows visitors with a huge range of exotic sea creatures.
Gartenstadt Falkenberg, also known as the Paintbox Housing Estate, was designed by famous German architect Bruno Taut in 1920. A part of Berlin’s least well-known UNESCO World Heritage Site, these housing estates are recognised for their innovative design. Located in Treptower, there are roughly 128 houses on the estate and most are single-family homes, with eye-catching details and colourful façades.
A unique view of a famous Berlin sight
For an unusual perspective of one of Berlin’s most-visited sights, head up to the Museum für Film und Fernsehen. Here, visitors can enjoy views of the Sony Center and get acquainted with students and workers of the German Film and Television Academy in their modern, sky-lounge cafeteria called the Helene Schwarz Café.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.