Berlin is a city like no other. The German capital offers the best of the best for both inhabitants and tourists, providing a good quality of life in a dynamic and multicultural environment. Berliners are a rare breed. They are hard to sum up, but adjectives like progressive, open-minded, boundary-pushing, night-owls seem to work quite well. It’s hard to definitely say what distinguishes Berliners from other metropolitan inhabitants, but there’s ostensibly some things only a Berliner would do.
BBQ In A Park
Berliners are social beings and every excuse to meet new people or their friends is a good one. Hence, when the weather is suitable for barbecuing, Berliners call their friends, decide who is buying what, and then gather around in parks, such as Mauerpark or the famous closed airport, Tempelhof, which is now one of the best green spots in the city. After eating and talking a lot, some of them even take a nap to enjoy the sun while it lasts.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Enjoy A Weekend In Mauerpark
Speaking of Mauerpark, this is one of the liveliest zones in the city. More than just a place for barbecues, park-goers can find a flea market here on the weekend, play basketball or football, and watch standup comedy shows and musicians. This is also a popular destination at night during the summer.
Run To The sun
When Ben Harper sings, ‘She’s only happy in the sun,’ he is probably thinking of a Berliner girl. As the sky is mostly grey or dark throughout the year, everybody in this city likes to enjoy every sunbeam they can get, so don’t be surprised if you see the whole city outdoors if you visit Berlin on a sunny day.
Use The Fernsehturm As A Guide
The famous Television Tower of Berlin is located right in the city center, in Alexanderplatz, and it is the tallest building in Berlin, so you see it from anywhere in the city. Whenever Berliners or visitors are lost or feel a bit disoriented, they look for the tower as a reference point. Sometimes they even follow it, as Alexanderplatz is a good connection point of transportation with its plethora of trams, U-Bahns, and buses. So, when lost, follow that giant marker in the sky.
Party Like Nowhere Else
People visit Berlin for its unique nightlife, and locals usually don’t occupy their time on the weekends with ‘Netflix and chill.’ Famous especially for its techno and electro clubs, there are establishments and entertainment options for every taste and sexual orientation, and Berliners take partying very seriously, starting sometimes in the morning and only coming back home the next day. Don’t come out if you can’t hang with the big kids.
Hunt For An ATM
Berlin is super unfriendly for card holders, most establishments do not accept credit cards as a form of payment, which is why most Berliners have cash in their wallet. Yet, to make it worse, the ATMs are few and far between, and if it’s not the designated bank of the cardholder, there will be a nefarious fee. Paper beats plastic in this city.
Take A Photo At A Photoautomat
The vintage photo booths of Berlin take black and white photos and make a perfect souvenir of the city. Take the challenge and fit inside with your friends, make funny faces and have fun with the photos.
Have A Typical Berlin Drink
Berliners usually don’t drink coke, they drink Fritz-Kola. When it comes to energy drinks, their favorite is Club-Mate, and if it’s cocktail-o-clock, order a Moscow Mule. When on a night out or having a meal, or simply thirsty, try out one of these typical Berliner drinks. Ah, and don’t forget the delicious beers from local breweries.
Eat A Kebab
Although currywurst is a famous Berlin dish, what the locals really love is a good kebab. You can find kebab spots easily, the most famous one being Mustafa’s Gemüse (vegetable) Kebab, you’ll have to wait in line, but it will be totally worth it.
Have A Big Old-School Winter Jacket
Berliners understand what cold temperatures are, but they never go out of style because of it. Most of the locals have adopted an alternative fashion style and love vintage pieces of clothing, including the winter jackets. In second hand stores and in flea markets you can find several options, including lumberjack coats, completely warm and one of a kind.
Berlin is one of the most bike-friendly cities in the world, and many locals use it as their main means of transport. It is flat and the traffic is not so dense, so it is super easy to get around with your bicycle.
Plan Sundays Ahead
Most useful establishments are closed on Sundays, such as supermarkets, cafés, and stores, and therefore Berliners and visitors have to plan what they are going to eat and where they want to go beforehand. If you are hosted in an Airbnb or in a hostel and you would like to cook, better buy something before Sunday. On the other hand, if you prefer to eat outside, there are still many restaurants open.
Wear A Blanket
Berliners do not stop doing their lives because it’s cold outside, so establishments all over Berlin, such as cafés, restaurants, or bars, provide blankets for those who choose to sit outside. Now there is no excuse not to be outside.
Drink Glühwein In A Christmas Market
Christmas time in Berlin is magical. So many lights, decorations, and traditional Christmas markets. Berliners love to visit them with their friends and have a cup of Glühwein, the famous hot mulled wine. It is delicious, and it will keep you warm.
See Something That Would Make A Lesser Urbanite Weep
Yes, Berliners have seen a little bit of everything. The real challenge is to name what a Berliner has not seen. The truth is, Berlin is a city of freedom and this is one of the reasons why this is such an attractive city. It welcomes everyone irrespective of their race, sexual orientation, or even hair color, and therefore there are a lot of things going on, even during daylight. Hence, it is very hard to shock a Berliner. It’s difficult to prepare a non-Berliner for what they will have to visually endure. The best bit of advice to give is to just say ‘expect the unexpected.’
Very important: Wait For The Green Light To Cross!
If you don’t, you’ll clearly be the one who’s not from Berlin.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.