For both tourists and locals alike, one of the most exciting aspects of Berlin is its nightlife scene. Naturally, its many notorious clubs typically steal the spotlight in this regard, but this isn’t such a bad thing for the city’s secret bars. Most people probably didn’t realize it but these speakeasy-style bars and hidden gems exist all throughout Berlin, just waiting for the curious to discover them. Let us tip you off with these ten of our favorites.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Located on one of the quieter side streets of the Wrangelkiez, Madame Claude is housed in a former brothel. The place glows with red light and the entryway entices visitors with its Lynchian vibe. The bar area itself is located at the bottom of a narrow stairwell, and there is a clever array of creatively arranged furniture fixed to the ceiling, which evokes a bit of a disorienting effect. Cozy up at one of Madame Claude’s eclectic tables with a cocktail or beer. The drink menu is fairly barebones, but this place is really about the ambiance. Madame Claude also holds live music on the regular.
Classy and upscale, Bar Tausend is situated in the heart of the city, near the bustling Friedrichstrasse, but it’s very easy to miss. Tucked below railway tracks and behind an imposing steel door, taking the time to search for this place is well worth it. They serve classic cocktails with elevated style. There is also a cantina that specializes in German-Asian fusion cuisine by personnel from the acclaimed restaurant, Dae Mon. The interior is upscale with industrial décor and sleek art deco finishes. Bar Tausend also hosts live music and DJ sets on weekends. It provides a practically unparalleled level of nightlife sophistication, and guests only get in if they are able to look the part.
With its elongated interior decorated in black and warm wooden tones, Bar Zentral, located in a busy Charlottenburg neighborhood provides an unexpected dose of style and elegance in both drink and design. Opened in 2015, this place has a robust set of regulars, but otherwise remains a bit of a secret within the Berlin bar scene. The design studio Hidden Fortress is behind the setup, which was created to foster elegance, intimacy, and coziness. Drinks are superb and balanced, also oriented around classics but often with a twist.
Located near the famed Märchenbrunnen, or ‘fountain of the fairytales’ in Volkspark, Fairytale offers an intriguingly whimsical ambiance, akin to the aesthetic of a Tim Burton film. The dim interior has a speakeasy vibe with detailed Alice and Wonderland décor and drink presentation. The cocktails are also fairytale themed with options like the ‘Cinderella’, which is served in a glass slipper. Meanwhile, the Mogli comes with a mix of chocolate, coconut, and rum. The bar staff are dressed in full costume to complete this imaginative experience.
Paloma is a little sliver of a bar that overlooks the bustling Kottbusser Tor. Its groovy 70s style décor in a prefabricated building of the same era that is, naturally, covered in graffiti from the outside and situated above a Kaiser grocery store. To access it, visitors must enter an uninviting metal gate and go up an equally dismal set of concrete steps. Yet, this hidden jewel has plenty to offer the patron willing to seek it out. For one, it has the true grit of an old school Berlin bar, and its windows provide a solid panorama of the notorious Kreuzberg neighborhood beneath.
With its 1920s style interior, Stagger Lee in Schöneberg is a themed speakeasy bar with all the fixings. The low-key atmosphere features exact replicas of quintessential prohibition-era saloon décor including an astoundingly ornate old cash register. Even the bar staff is dressed to fit the part, and getting admitted requires ringing the doorbell. Yet, none of it feels overdone or gimmicky. Expect perfect mood lighting and an impressive selection of bourbon. Making a reservation beforehand isn’t a bad idea as this place does fill up during peak hours. It was, after all, included on the World’s 50 Best Bars’ list.
Basalt is one of Wedding’s best hidden secrets. Here it is possible to find craft cocktails made with fresh ingredients and homegrown herbs in a gorgeous, dramatic contemporary ambiance featuring dark walls and a green tiled bar. Drinks include things like ginger mojitos and homemade Kwas or the ‘Pink n’ Spicy’, which is made of raspberry puree, rum, lemon, vanilla, cracked pepper, and coriander. The interior is decorated on a botanic theme, and its owners are longtime friends, Kieran and Matthias, who have extensive experience in the areas of tourism and gastronomy.
Redwood is another lesser known bar near Rosenthaler Platz in Mitte with a casual ambiance and phenomenal drinks. It’s unpretentious, slightly grungy interior attracts a friendly local crowd. What makes them special is that they make most of the components for their drinks in-house, including eggnog and bitters. Their cocktails are flavorful and always interesting, featuring blends of spirits, spices, herbs, and fruits at the perfect balance. They also have homemade yummy snacks like empanadas, because at this neighborhood gem, why not?
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.